problems installing program
    i bought my first mac and i have a problem.

i tried downloading and installing a program off more specifically frostwire
    i have dled it and installed it fine on my gf mac but this one isn't working

the downloading worked perfectly fine but i can't seem to install it.

when its finished dling from the website i get a icon on my desktop that looks like a harddrive. when i click it it opens a new folder which i click on the icon to open it to install it it gives me a message saying :

"frostwire" is an application downloaded from the Internet. are you sure you want to open it?
    "frostwire" is on the disk image "frostwire-4.21.2.dmg". safari downloaded this disk image today at 11:08 from"

when i select yes from that message nothing happens

what am i doing wrong?

how can i install this program properly? is there like a seeting that i need to adjust.

thanks for your help

Reading, UK
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    make sure you drag it off the disk image into the applications folder.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    Apple recommends developers use application packages, with most of the support files embedded with the application. So Firefox is actually, which is a folder pretending to be an application, with its support files and executable inside. That allows a user to uninstall an app by simply dragging it to the trash. A DMG file is similar to a windows ISO, a virtual disk, and if a file doesn't have a specific installer, it will most likely be a drag and drop install.

Bretforton, Worcestershire
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    Both absolutely right, when you download a file that is placed inside a .DMG (DMG being a virtual drive) you need to drag the application out of the dmg into your applications folder. Once you have done this you can drag the dmg to the trash bin to eject it then delete the downloaded folder housing the dmg.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    For fuller instructions, double click the .dmg file and after it open either install the program if there is an installer, or simply drag it to the Applications folder. Many programs have an application folder besides the program with an arrow. That will also work.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information