New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Memory - Need Less?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikegs

mikegs is on a distinguished road

I am thinking about my next Macbook Pro. Historically I have always maxed out the memory to 8 GB. Is 4 GB enough? I ran the most intensive "event" I think I would ever do; converted 100 RAW image files to DNG files through Adobe Lightroom 3. While this event was running I had a few other applications running including HandBrake converting a 4 GB m4v to AppleTV format, Apple Mail, and Safari.

Activity monitor shows 5.8 GB of free memory (meaning I'm only using 2.2 GB) with the CPU at 97%. Isn't this saying I have way more memory than I need but a bump up in processor could help things along?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My guess would be you did that test after a fresh boot and you would probably hit a much higher used percentage after the machine had been up and running for a week or two. However, 4GB is going to be enough for the vast majority of users.

A faster CPU never hurts if you're doing any sort of video conversion.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegs View Post
I am thinking about my next Macbook Pro. Historically I have always maxed out the memory to 8 GB.
Depends on what you mean by "historically". Most Apple computers have only been able to hold 8 gig of ram since 2009:

- iMacs: March, 2009
- Mac-mini's: March, 2009
- MacBook Pro's: January, 2009
- MacBook's: October, 2009
- Mac Pro's: August, 2006
- Powermac G5's: June, 2003

So if you "historically" have been using Powermac G5's or Mac Pro's...then there certainly is some "history" of being able to use 8 gig of ram in those computers (although very expensive, especially back in 2003).

But if we're talking other model Macintosh computers (iMac's, Mac-mini's, MacBooks, MacBook Pro's)...there really is not that much "history" of being able to upgrade to 8 gig of ram...since these models have only been capable of 8 gig since 2009 (approx. 2 years).

Even by today's standards...8 gig of ram is a LOT of ram for the average user. I would imagine 8 gig of ram (or more) only needed by "Power Users" dealing with very complex Photoshop or video editing projects.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Keep in mind 4GB now is a lot different than a few years ago jumping from 667 MHz DDR2
to !066 MHz DDR3 and as much in the front side bus so 4GB does a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
mikegs

mikegs is on a distinguished road

Thanks all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP 2009 charger problem | flying at half-RAM »