New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Cant run progams

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jwint86062

Jwint86062 is on a distinguished road

So I got a mac book pro. Heard they were good and one of my friends swears by mac's so I picked it up. I cant get my Quick time to work and I downloaded a program called flip4mac so I can play windows media on it. Also I downloaded norton antivirus and I think the firewall has something to do with it. Not used to using these macs but want to learn. If anyone can help me out I would apriciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You're going to need to be more specific. If something doesn't work, we will need to know what doesn't work, what you've tried and the versions of the software you're using.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
Jwint86062

Well its the quicktime that came on the computer when I bought it so whatever the version of that is. I really don't know. Went online to find something that would let me watch windows media videos and found this thing called flip4mac. No clue what version that is or anything about it at all for that matter. Probably shouldnt have downloaded it. The norton I got is the newest verion for mac's and downloaded it from the comcast site. Can probably call comcast for help with norton but Figured you guys on here might know a lil bit more about my other problems.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I can't wait for you to start telling us what ACTUAL PROBLEMS YOU ARE HAVING. So far you've managed to avoid the subject rather brilliantly.

Turn off the software firewall if you have it on. Disable and then COMPLETELY uninstall the Norton Virus. Buy a copy of " Switching to the Mac: the Missing Manual by David Pogue, and read it.

I suspect those steps (at least the first two) will mysteriously "fix" all the "problems."
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

We'd be more than willing to help but as I and chas noted, you have yet to tell us what your problem is. You have only noted that you're having an issue with QuickTime - are you having an issue with Windows Media files? Is it a protected file (DRM)? You also mention having a problem with Norton but are still unclear as to whether your issue is caused by Norton (you imply that you think it has to do with Norton).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
Jwint86062

The quicktime will not run. Cant explain it anymore than that. To trouble shoot it I click on it and nothing happens if you want to know what im trying to do to fix it. I dont know how to fix the problem. I dont even know how to uninstall programs on this computer. Not familiar with macs. Can you guys tell me how to uninstall programs?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

If I open Quicktime player, nothing happens either, other than the Quicktime player menu bar showing up the top of the screen ....This is normal.
If I want something to happen with it, I have to open a file with Quicktime player.
The same goes for VLC or other media players.

See link for one method:
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2095/file3766m.mp4
Is this not happening for you?
QUOTE Thanks
Jwint86062

Thanks, Someone who understands non mac users! I appreciate the help. Really had no clue thats how these worked.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! | Macbook pro 15" screen pixalating issues »