New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Internal Hard Drive Super Slow!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

daniscool99

daniscool99 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a refurbished ( http://img28.imageshack.us/i/fulls.png/ ) Hard Drive off ebay. Upon insertion it said it wasn't recognized right away, but I formatted it to two partitions, both of which were Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my entire hard drive to my new one (via an earlier purchased enclosure and USB). I inserted my new hard drive to my system and it worked.. but ran incredibly slowly. From off until the password screen it took 5-10 minutes and once I was finally able to get into my computer, I was beachballing every minute, even when trying to scroll on a document or webpage.. literally unbearable. I tried repairing the permissions on it and repairing the disk before I got fed up and had to put my old hard drive back in.

I plugged my old hard drive back in and it worked as normal, full speed 15 second boot up time as usual. Here's a pic of it ( http://img121.imageshack.us/i/oldhd.png/ )

I tried the exact mentioned process as above using SuperDuper in case it was a problem with CCC, but it was still super slow.

Am I dealing with a defective Hard Drive? I'm trying to repair the permissions of my original hard drive at the moment and am going to try one more time copying it after repairing it.. not sure if it will do anything. When I try to repair permissions on it (or on copied version of my newer, slow hard drive I get this every time:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

The original hard drive works perfectly.. when copied to the new one, it is really slow. Is it a problem with the hard drive, does my computer not accept this kind of hard drive? (The ebay seller had a large list of accepted models of which mine was among.)

Any insight would be great.

Thanks in advance,

D
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Why did you buy a refurbished HD when new hard drives are so cheap?

It sounds like a dying HD!

http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Sea...t=SATA+5400RPM

http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Sea...t=SATA+7200RPM
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« photos to mac air? | Urgent! Mac crashed; folder = ? »