New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Recommendations for a new MBP battery?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
AUZambo

 
AUZambo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 06, 2006
Posts: 282
AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

AUZambo is offline
Mine is the 15 inch 2006 model and It's about time for a new battery. This one holds a charge for 30-40 minutes, and most of the time we use the computer is it plugged in so I'm in no hurry...but it's getting close to time for a new one.

I've done some searching and the battery on Apple's site gets HORRID reviews, so I'm probably gonna steer clear of that one. Is there a 3rd party manufacturer that would be a good replacement?
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

 
AUZambo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 06, 2006
Posts: 282
AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

AUZambo is offline
Hey...just a shameless bump before this drops to the depths of forgotten message board lore.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 27,225
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post

I've done some searching and the battery on Apple's site gets HORRID reviews, so I'm probably gonna steer clear of that one. Is there a 3rd party manufacturer that would be a good replacement?
Not sure where you're getting the bad reviews for Apple batteries...but remember that for every bad review you read...there are probably 500-1000 happy customers.

I'm not saying Apple batteries are perfect (although I honestly haven't heard of many folks having problems)...the 3rd party folks are probably worse.

Bottom line...the Apple batteries IMHO...are your best choice.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

 
Oneironaut's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 23, 2009
Posts: 1,323
Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Oneironaut is offline
Well the average rating of MBP batteries on Apple's own website is two stars, so it's hard to give any product with such a rating a ringing endorsement. However, I'm willing to bet that a good number of people never calibrate their batteries, which is so essential.

Personally, my own MBP battery is three years old and will still hold a charge for a couple of hours. When I got my second battery for backup, the only reason I got another manufacturer's version is because Apple charges so much for one of their new batteries.

I found one on ebay that was affordable and also works very well. Between calibrating the batteries and swapping them out, I'm never out of power for long. So I would check ebay for a good, legit deal.
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

 
AUZambo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 06, 2006
Posts: 282
AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

AUZambo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Not sure where you're getting the bad reviews for Apple batteries...but remember that for every bad review you read...there are probably 500-1000 happy customers.
The bad reviews are from Apple's web site. It averages 2 out of 5 stars...but a lot of the bad reviews that I read are also people complaining about the original battery that came with their MBP. Mine is 4 years old and never has given me any problems.

I have considered that the people most likely to take the time to review a product are the ones who have had a negative experience. Not many people call a company to say, "Hey, remember that washing machine I bought last year? No? Well, I'm just calling you to let you know it still works."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
Well the average rating of MBP batteries on Apple's own website is two stars, so it's hard to give any product with such a rating a ringing endorsement. However, I'm willing to bet that a good number of people never calibrate their batteries, which is so essential.

Personally, my own MBP battery is three years old and will still hold a charge for a couple of hours. When I got my second battery for backup, the only reason I got another manufacturer's version is because Apple charges so much for one of their new batteries.

I found one on ebay that was affordable and also works very well. Between calibrating the batteries and swapping them out, I'm never out of power for long. So I would check ebay for a good, legit deal.
Calibrating a battery is simply letting it cycle regularly, right? We do usually keep the computer plugged in, but about once a week I make sure to use it one day without the charger attached, and I'll use it 'til it shuts itself off due to lack of power. Then I charge it that night.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 27,225
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post

I have considered that the people most likely to take the time to review a product are the ones who have had a negative experience. Not many people call a company to say, "Hey, remember that washing machine I bought last year? No? Well, I'm just calling you to let you know it still works."
Ha ha ha...EXACTLY! I love the your washing machine analogy!

That's why it's really tough to trust online review summaries/statistics...they're usually FULL of folks with negative reviews...and short on positive reviews.

In fact...I sometimes think that there's a "snowball" effect...where someone starts reading the reviews for a product...realizes that they had a similar problem with the same product...and then feels "obligated" to join in on the product "bashing".

Of course this could happen with positive reviews as well...but I think that we know that folks that have had a negative experience are MUCH MORE motivated to complain...than folks with positive experiences are to praise a product.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Screw Stuck in DVI Slot | MacBook Pro charger shorting out for the 3rd time »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MBP Battery... MeWii Apple Notebooks 4 10-18-2010 10:04 AM
MBP 15 Inch - battery question? tarheel Apple Notebooks 5 09-27-2010 10:55 AM
Battery life on a late 2008 MBP the sheep Apple Notebooks 1 06-23-2010 12:04 AM
51% original battery capacity with mbp little over 1 year old yarjarrarr Apple Notebooks 8 09-21-2009 04:14 PM
MBP Battery Draining Overnight fungry Apple Notebooks 4 12-09-2008 12:42 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?