New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Accessing an old macbook pro hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Scorpion

Scorpion is on a distinguished road

hi
i had a problem with my macbook pro and took into the store. there was a problem with the hard drive where it was randomly not recognized some times. it was under warranty, so they replaced it with a new one and gave me the old one to keep. now i do not have a backup of my old files and need to access the old hard drive. how do i do it? is there any external enclosure that i can buy to use it in? or what cables should i get to connect it to the macbook and get my data?
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
hi
i had a problem with my macbook pro and took into the store. there was a problem with the hard drive where it was randomly not recognized some times. it was under warranty, so they replaced it with a new one and gave me the old one to keep. now i do not have a backup of my old files and need to access the old hard drive. how do i do it? is there any external enclosure that i can buy to use it in? or what cables should i get to connect it to the macbook and get my data?
Yes...just get an external enclosure. How old is your MBP? I'm guessing you have a 2.5" SATA drive (9.5 mm in height). I bought an enclosure from Amazon for $5 (includes shipping) when I replace my HD. Now my old drive serves as an external HD.Here's the one I bought. It comes with the USB cable to plug it in...and you don't have to use both of them. I backed mine up and use it just fine with only one plugged in.

Amazon.com: USB 2.0 2.5 HARD DRIVE SATA HDD EXTERNAL CASE ENCLOSURE: Electronics
QUOTE Thanks
mtbinva

mtbinva will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.

I would recommend gong to Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC (OWC) and look there. Their prices are more than reasonable and sell complete kits.

Here is a direct link to their offerings.

External Hard Drive Enclosure Kits for IDE, ATA, SATA, Optical Drives
QUOTE Thanks
Scorpion

thank you auzambo! ordered it just now.
QUOTE Thanks
Scorpion

i got the case and it works. but the transfer speed is absurdly slow!
is there anything else i should be doing?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook might break chargers? | Leopard does not recognize new HDD »