Upgrading Unibody Macbook Hard Drive and Memory
    Hello all. I'm getting ready to upgrade both the hard drive and RAM on my late 2008 unibody MacBook (2.0 gHz), and I wanted to make sure I'm on the right track and get opinions on materials.

For the hard drive, I'm upgrading from my 160gb drive to a 500gb drive. I'm working under the assumption that I need an SATA II 2.5" internal drive. I've found the following on Amazon.com:

Western Digital:
    Amazon.com: Western Digital Scorpio 2.5-Inch 500 GB SATA Internal Hard Drive WD5000BEKT (Black): Electronics

Hitachi:
    Amazon.com: Hitachi Travelstar 2.5 Inch 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA II 16 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0S02858: Electronics

Seagate:
    Amazon.com: Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST95005620AS-Bare Drive: Electronics

Would any of these work? Does anyone have any experience with or opinions regarding the best/worst of these? Any drives I haven't considered?

For the memory, I'm upgrading from 2gb to 4gb. The only memory I've found so far is this kit:

Amazon.com: Kingston Apple 4GB Kit (2x2GB Modules) 1066MHz DDR3 SODIMM iMac and Macbook Memory (KTA-MB1066K2/4GR): Electronics

Again, will this work? Any other options I'm not considering?

Thanks in advance for any input! Cheers!

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    If it makes things any easier...these guys (who specialize in Macintosh computers) are a great place to purchase hard drive & ram upgrades from:

OWC

...and yes...a number of Mac-Forums members from the UK & Australia have ordered from them...and have reported outstanding service.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

That website looks good, and I may well go with it when I purchase. Thanks for the tip!

Does anyone have any thoughts specifically regarding the hybrid drive I've listed? It looks pretty great, but I wonder if there aren't hidden tradeoffs...

Specs:
    15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    If it makes things any easier...these guys (who specialize in Macintosh computers) are a great place to purchase hard drive & ram upgrades from:

OWC

...and yes...a number of Mac-Forums members from the UK & Australia have ordered from them...and have reported outstanding service.

- Nick

I cant stress enough, as the owner of a Mac, to go to OWC first. I dare say you'll be hard pressed to find better prices and service.

I like the Seagate myself, and have that same drive in my MBP. Works like a champ! Can't go wrong with that one at all.

Thread Information