New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrading Unibody Macbook Hard Drive and Memory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MilwaukeeMac

MilwaukeeMac is on a distinguished road

Hello all. I'm getting ready to upgrade both the hard drive and RAM on my late 2008 unibody MacBook (2.0 gHz), and I wanted to make sure I'm on the right track and get opinions on materials.

For the hard drive, I'm upgrading from my 160gb drive to a 500gb drive. I'm working under the assumption that I need an SATA II 2.5" internal drive. I've found the following on Amazon.com:

Western Digital:
Amazon.com: Western Digital Scorpio 2.5-Inch 500 GB SATA Internal Hard Drive WD5000BEKT (Black): Electronics

Hitachi:
Amazon.com: Hitachi Travelstar 2.5 Inch 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA II 16 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0S02858: Electronics

Seagate:
Amazon.com: Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST95005620AS-Bare Drive: Electronics

Would any of these work? Does anyone have any experience with or opinions regarding the best/worst of these? Any drives I haven't considered?

For the memory, I'm upgrading from 2gb to 4gb. The only memory I've found so far is this kit:

Amazon.com: Kingston Apple 4GB Kit (2x2GB Modules) 1066MHz DDR3 SODIMM iMac and Macbook Memory (KTA-MB1066K2/4GR): Electronics

Again, will this work? Any other options I'm not considering?

Thanks in advance for any input! Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If it makes things any easier...these guys (who specialize in Macintosh computers) are a great place to purchase hard drive & ram upgrades from:

OWC

...and yes...a number of Mac-Forums members from the UK & Australia have ordered from them...and have reported outstanding service.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MilwaukeeMac

MilwaukeeMac is on a distinguished road

That website looks good, and I may well go with it when I purchase. Thanks for the tip!

Does anyone have any thoughts specifically regarding the hybrid drive I've listed? It looks pretty great, but I wonder if there aren't hidden tradeoffs...
QUOTE Thanks
mtbinva

mtbinva will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
If it makes things any easier...these guys (who specialize in Macintosh computers) are a great place to purchase hard drive & ram upgrades from:

OWC

...and yes...a number of Mac-Forums members from the UK & Australia have ordered from them...and have reported outstanding service.

- Nick

I cant stress enough, as the owner of a Mac, to go to OWC first. I dare say you'll be hard pressed to find better prices and service.

I like the Seagate myself, and have that same drive in my MBP. Works like a champ! Can't go wrong with that one at all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery questions >> | just scored a GREAT Deal on a Macbook Pro »