New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Back up options for Ibook g4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

Hello all!

I am looking @ backup options for my mp3's and digital pictures. My hard drive is getting full and the amount of data i create is constantly growing and as such i need some storage options. I am considering these 3 options:

1. External hard drive and enclosure. I am looking at getting a Western Digital hard drive desktop 7200 rpm and an enclosure. I am concerned if heat may be an issue so i am looking for a recommended enclosure from any users out there. Also my friend's external hard drive crashed and i'm worried about the stability of desktop hard drives in an external enclosure as i have been told they are sensitive as they are not designed for that type of use.

2. This leads to my consideration of getting a notebook laptop and making it an external. Does anyone recommend a specific brand of hard drive? fujitsu, hitachi etc?? They do cost more but are more "shock" resistant.

3. An external dvd burner. However i am not completely sold on that idea.

please help me out with advice.

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I have just a little input to offer you on your first concern. I use an external HD enclosure with a Western Digital HD in it. Thus far, I have had much luck with it. I have noticed that the unit does heat up at bit, but not hot to the touch, and I've been using it for a year, and it has yet to fail me nor do I think heat will be the factor that will make it fail on me in the future. It seems to work just as well as a regular external HD for the time being. The external HD enclosure kit that I use is by I/O Magic, the I35USB2AE model.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

I back up all my files to my Windows XP desktop at home.

At least I found something useful to do with it since I upgraded to my iBook. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

DVD Burner would be the cheapest and most guaranteed setup, but also the least efficient, as a full DVD could take 15 minutes to burn in some cases.

I've known several people who have used internal drives in external cases with no problems. This is easier than the DVD idea, but not as safe.

The best way would be to just get the cash and buy an actual external drive. It's ment to be external, and is efficient. These drives seem like they are going down in cost, and I see them on sale at a regular basis.

You might want to check into newegg.com, they have some good deals on all of the above kinda stuff, and I've never had a problem buying from them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Vpn | no boot devices-g3 ibook »