New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook doesnt have FireWire ports, though my preamp for recording requires one. HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ef1992

ef1992 is on a distinguished road

I have one the standard 13" MacBooks(unibody) and it has NO firewire ports. I need to somehow plug my Presonus Firepod preamp into my macbook. Since I lack the firewire port, this has shown to be a HUGE problem. Please, PLEASE explain how I can run FireWire into my mac.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac G3 800MHz :D | PowerMac G4 | MacBook Pro 15" 2.8GHz C2D 500GB HDD 4GB 9600M / 9600M GT 10.7.1

Welcome to Mac-Forums

I don't know if it would work or not, but you could try a male-male usb-firewire 6pin adapter?

- Simon

Rest In Peace Steven Paul Jobs February 24, 1955 - October 5, 2011 [aged 56]
If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system just above the post to the right.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
ef1992

ef1992 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
Welcome to Mac-Forums

I don't know if it would work or not, but you could try a male-male usb-firewire 6pin adapter?

- Simon
Firewire to USB adapters are not compatible with eachother due to difference in transfer rate. USB cannot keep up. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac G3 800MHz :D | PowerMac G4 | MacBook Pro 15" 2.8GHz C2D 500GB HDD 4GB 9600M / 9600M GT 10.7.1

Obviously the data stream rate drops because of the adapter but they ARE compatible.

- Simon

Rest In Peace Steven Paul Jobs February 24, 1955 - October 5, 2011 [aged 56]
If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system just above the post to the right.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
Obviously the data stream rate drops because of the adapter but they ARE compatible.

- Simon
Could you please supply evidence of same. The nature of the data between firewire and USB are inherently non-compatible.

There is not a single adapter that will go from firewire to USB on any legitimate electronics site that I have ever seen. These would include monoprice, newegg, OWC, tigerdirect and many others. There is also no reputable manufacturer making such an adapter - Belkin for example... that makes adapters for just about everything.

Yes, I have seen a great many sites that say it can be done - like this one - that is making money off all the links on the page and has no allowance for any reviews of their own op-ed piece.. I have never read a single review of someone that has done it - successfully. I have read reports of people blowing the ports on their computers attempting this however.

Here is a Sima product who's product description says you can do this, but the manual says you can't and reviews of same at Amazon.

Here is a Belkin firewire/USB hub. But it still only transfers firewire via firewire and USB via USB. It does not allow for firewire via USB nor USB via firewire.

I am not being facetious when I say that I really would be quite happy to be proven wrong here as I am sure the op would also. This question gets asked over and over. It would be nice to have a link of an adapter with verified reports that it will accomplish this task.

edit:
The chinese adapters you can find around the web are cheap enough. But with all the reports of blown ports I've seen over the years of my investigation into this, I've never been willing to experiment with any of my own equipment.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Even if you could find an adapter (and I've only ever seen them for video work, which is slightly different), I highly doubt it would work with your audio gear.

Your options:
* sell your preamp and get something USB-based.
* sell your MacBook and buy a new MacBook Pro with Firewire 800 port and get a firewire 800 to 400 adapter.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dent. | macbook air booting time changed then again back to normal »