New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP Mini DVI Resolution?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Codeseven

Codeseven is on a distinguished road

When I connect my late 2008 MBP to my new 24" Acer Monitor via the Mini DVI port I cant get full resolution on the monitor. The screen is only about 3/4 full and appears to be a LOWER resolution than the screen on the laptop. The monitor is connected Mini DVI to DVI. went into System Preferences, Displays, it shows the laptop resolution as 1440x900 and the Monitor resolution as 1920x1080. My MBP's 9600GT is capable of 2560x1600 resolution so that shouldn't be the problem. Maybe it's the Monitor driver but I couldn't find an OSX driver for it.

Is there something I'm missing? Thanks

Product Model
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

How do you have the Acer display setup? For example: Extended desktop or Mirror mode? Also, the native resolution of your Acer is 1920 x 1080. Any other resolution is going to cause distortion or a stretched picture.

If you want the Acer to display at 1920 x 1080 (its native res) you need to switch the display to the Acer and use it as primary. (setup as mirror mode) I do that very thing here with my Samsung monitor when at home. It's the same res as your Acer.
QUOTE Thanks
Codeseven

Thanks for the quick reply. I believe I tried the 'Mirror' mode but I'll check again. Also, I wanted to point out that the cable is dual-link. Thanks

For only $17.15 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 25ft 24AWG CL2 Dual Link DVI-D Cable - Black | High-Quality 24AWG DVI-D Cables
QUOTE Thanks
Codeseven

Hi Chscag, it's in Mirror mode. Also, I just tried using a mini-Displayport VGA to VGA with the same results. There is about 1" of blank space on both sides but the top and bottom are fine. It shows the monitor in 1920x1080 and in a video I put on it says it was in 10:9 aspect ratio.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Don't use a VGA adapter as it won't give you the same clarity as DVI. As for the 1" of blank space.... Do you have the Acer set as your primary display? Open System Preferences, Displays. Select Mirror mode and drag the menu bar to the Acer. See if that helps. (make sure it's set to display as 1920 x 1080)

When I have my Samsung hooked up, I use clamshell mode - which means that I have the top case of my MacBook closed. I also use an external keyboard and mouse when I do that. The Samsung becomes the primary display and as long as the display on the MacBook is off, I get the full 1920 x 1080 resolution. No 1" blank space.
QUOTE Thanks
Codeseven

I'll try that (as soon as I get back home). Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

Chscag is correct. Using your MacBook in clamshell mode will allow the monitor to reach its full resolution.
QUOTE Thanks
Codeseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Don't use a VGA adapter as it won't give you the same clarity as DVI. As for the 1" of blank space.... Do you have the Acer set as your primary display? Open System Preferences, Displays. Select Mirror mode and drag the menu bar to the Acer. See if that helps. (make sure it's set to display as 1920 x 1080)

When I have my Samsung hooked up, I use clamshell mode - which means that I have the top case of my MacBook closed. I also use an external keyboard and mouse when I do that. The Samsung becomes the primary display and as long as the display on the MacBook is off, I get the full 1920 x 1080 resolution. No 1" blank space.

Yup, worked like a charm, thanks. As suggested, I used an external keyboard and mouse, with the laptop on and closed I plugged in the monitor using the mini-Displayport DVI to DVI and awakened the laptop with the keyboard. The monitor came on in full 1920x1080! Cool
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Great. Thanks for posting back. Visit often and have a Happy New Year!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Major issues with Macbook Pro | jammed macbook pro heat sensors!? »