New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Memoy question?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newbimac

newbimac is on a distinguished road

I have tried to research this myself, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information.

I have one of the first unibody Macbook pro's with the 2.53 GHz processor in it. Will the machine take 8GB of RAM and be stable?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Why do you even need 8GB of RAM in the first place? 4GB is more than enough for everyday computing.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Even the early core2 held 8 Gigs or RAM, so yes, it will. You can check it out for yourself at RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com
QUOTE Thanks
newbimac

Thanks for the opinion, the reason is because i process a lot of RAW files from a Nikon DSLR and would like more speed.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

Ram does not give you speed....
QUOTE Thanks
newbimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
Even the early core2 held 8 Gigs or RAM, so yes, it will. You can check it out for yourself at RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com
I did check Crucial but it said that 4GB is the max. However a google search suggested that this was true when they first came out but with Snow Leopard and the new EFI version 8GB was possible. That's why i asked the question here for a definitive answer.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

What model is your MBP? Is it a Core2 Duo? When I looked at Crucial it at the lowest model of your processor speed it said 8Gigs.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

Oh, I take that back, the earliest model will only support 4Gigs, not 8. If that is your model then that is all it will support.
QUOTE Thanks
newbimac

It's a 2008 Macbook pro unibody with a core 2 Duo 2.53ghz..
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

4Gigs Max....
QUOTE Thanks
newbimac

Quote:
Oh, I take that back, the earliest model will only support 4Gigs, not 8. If that is your model then that is all it will support.
This is the problem, "officially" it only supports 4GB according to apple. But the mid 2009 with the identical motherboard "officially" supports 8GB.

Google and forum searches don't seem to be definitive in answering the question. Some say 4GB is the actual max and it cannot support more some say it will support 6GB and others say with the new EFI version and snow leopard 8GB is supported
QUOTE Thanks
newbimac

I guess the only way i'll get a definitive answer is if someone who has one of the first 2008 unibody MBP's has tried it and can answer.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

Different model number means that something changed and I doubt that it is an identical motherboard in that case. So, I'm going to have to suppor the "official" stand on this. However, there is nothing stopping you from giving more a try. That being said, I doubt it will do much from you on the processing side. I process RAW files all the time on my MB with 4 Gigs and never come close to usnig it. Biggest batch I did was about 100 files with a conversion/copy to JPG. I doubt that extra RAM is going to do a thing for you.
QUOTE Thanks
newbimac

Quote:
Different model number means that something changed and I doubt that it is an identical motherboard in that case. So, I'm going to have to suppor the "official" stand on this. However, there is nothing stopping you from giving more a try. That being said, I doubt it will do much from you on the processing side. I process RAW files all the time on my MB with 4 Gigs and never come close to usnig it. Biggest batch I did was about 100 files with a conversion/copy to JPG. I doubt that extra RAM is going to do a thing for you.
Thanks for the advice. Maybe the money would be better spent on an SSD.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

Well, what I would do (if you are already maxed) is get a program like istat menu and watch to see how much memory you are using. Mac is not like Windows with mem usage so if you watch teh bar and it never maxes out then yes, save the coin for a new SSD. If it does max out then you need to investigate further what is happening. There is no need to waste your money on something you may never use.

iStat Menus, a Mac app by Bjango
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Carbon Copy Cloner Input/Output Errors! HELP | Snow Leopard Energy Saver to detect Power Adapter »