New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

i5 or i7 15" Macbook Pro?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
its_cliche

 
Member Since: Dec 26, 2010
Posts: 3
its_cliche is on a distinguished road

its_cliche is offline
Alright, I do apologize if a similar type of thread has been posted, however, I am very irked as to which MBP to get!

I'm a senior student that's very interested in media: I have an extensive library of music, am an aspiring graphics designer (designing for four years), and I do enjoy watching HD content.

I will be attending OCAD (Ontario College of Art and Design), which is one of Canada's best design schools, be it graphic design, interior design, technological design, you get the picture...

So, venturing further into the world of Photoshop and design, I've never owned a Mac, and I'm pretty excited about the current one I'll be getting in the next week (at your discretion). I am trying to "future-proof" the current laptop to last me about the next four to six years.

Never working on Mac before, I don't know if 4gb of RAM would suffice (it's the current industry standard) or if I should take the plunge to 8gb of RAM. I have heard that 4gb RAM sticks are very expensive right now, and it would probably be a better idea to do the upgrade myself at a much lower price further on down the road. Now, with my understanding, Apple finds pleasure in creating impossible-to-disassemble machines, so I was wondering if the RAM "upgrade" needed to be done at the checkout on the online store, or if I could do it myself later.

My last question:
Is 4gb seriously enough for some moderate graphic design? Should I step into 8gb when I go away to university? I do a lot of social networking and regular day-to-day usage of the computer, so is 4gb sufficient? the i5 or the i7? To future-proof it, I thought I'd stick with the i7 so it lasts longer (4+ years - seeing as the laptop in sum will cost about 3 - 3.5k), but what are your thoughts?

I really appreciate your responses, and I do apologize for my novel! Your opinions and insights are heavily appreciated!

Thanks a lot guys, and (late) Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!
- Connor
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

 
s2odin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 23, 2010
Posts: 836
s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

s2odin is offline
4gb should be fine for what you're doing, if you get the i7.
And no, 4gb sticks are not expensive. They run about $65ish iirc, which is a lot cheaper than they used to be. And the upgrade is extremely easy. And make sure you get the stock hard drive and upgrade it to a 7200rpm drive after market.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
its_cliche

 
Member Since: Dec 26, 2010
Posts: 3
its_cliche is on a distinguished road

its_cliche is offline
Thanks for your quick reply, I really appreciate it! Your recommendation also saved me roughly $400!

I will definitely be sure to upgrade the HD. Further on down the road, however, when I upgrade the RAM - and if SSD memory is cheaper, would it be possible to upgrade to an SSDD?

As for my last question, should I upgrade the screen to the Hi-Res glossy display? Will the native resolution on the MBP support what I'd need, do you think?

Again, I thank you so much for your included support and input.

- Connor
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

 
s2odin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 23, 2010
Posts: 836
s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

s2odin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by its_cliche View Post
Thanks for your quick reply, I really appreciate it! Your recommendation also saved me roughly $400!

I will definitely be sure to upgrade the HD. Further on down the road, however, when I upgrade the RAM - and if SSD memory is cheaper, would it be possible to upgrade to an SSDD?

As for my last question, should I upgrade the screen to the Hi-Res glossy display? Will the native resolution on the MBP support what I'd need, do you think?

Again, I thank you so much for your included support and input.

- Connor
Wait until SSD prices come down to purchase one. They are still too expensive imo.

Yes, definitely upgrade to the hi-res display. Glossy or anti-glare, your choice. I prefer glossy but its up to you.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
rachellesmith

 
Member Since: Dec 27, 2010
Posts: 20
rachellesmith is on a distinguished road

rachellesmith is offline
I would go for the i7 it is much faster than the i5, several feedback and reviews shows that when it comes to photo or video editing the i7 is much better than the i5. I'm sure the 4gb would just be enough for you to use.
QUOTE Thanks
its_cliche

 
Member Since: Dec 26, 2010
Posts: 3
its_cliche is on a distinguished road

its_cliche is offline
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing that - nice thing about the SSDD is that I'm also working in retail, so there are a few sites who give discounts to retail associate purchases. Thanks for your input on that, too.

As for the Hi-Res screen, I'll look into it - $2,400 (+tax) is getting to be a bit pricy for a computer, in my opinion, so I'll see what my dad says, ha ha. I can always pick up an external monitor, which is what I was planning on doing anyway, when my desk space frees up (meaning, when I get a larger one).

Warranty: I'm thinking a definite yes, but still, I'd want some opinions here as well. What do you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

 
s2odin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 23, 2010
Posts: 836
s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

s2odin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachellesmith View Post
I would go for the i7 it is much faster than the i5, several feedback and reviews shows that when it comes to photo or video editing the i7 is much better than the i5. I'm sure the 4gb would just be enough for you to use.
The i5 really isnt much faster than the i7... They are both dual core processors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_cliche View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing that - nice thing about the SSDD is that I'm also working in retail, so there are a few sites who give discounts to retail associate purchases. Thanks for your input on that, too.

As for the Hi-Res screen, I'll look into it - $2,400 (+tax) is getting to be a bit pricy for a computer, in my opinion, so I'll see what my dad says, ha ha. I can always pick up an external monitor, which is what I was planning on doing anyway, when my desk space frees up (meaning, when I get a larger one).

Warranty: I'm thinking a definite yes, but still, I'd want some opinions here as well. What do you guys think?
Yea, the Intel Retail Edge program is cool, and they had a 120gb Intel X-25 for like $80 a while back. The hi-res sceen is almost a must imo. 1680x1050 looks soooo nice especially with the MBP screen.

And as far as AppleCare, get it when your first year warranty is almost up, so you can save some money.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
Mildewy

 
Member Since: Nov 19, 2009
Posts: 10
Mildewy is on a distinguished road

Mildewy is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post

And as far as AppleCare, get it when your first year warranty is almost up, so you can save some money.
You aren't going to save money..unless you mean "save up". Apple prices are pretty much a constant, look at the last 3 years of entry level Macbooks priced at $999. Apple Care will be $350(unless you are planning to go to school). I know I am not the only one guilty of saying "I'll get it later" and end up forgetting. A year can fly by if you aren't paying attention. Some people say that Apple sends a reminder prior to the year being up, but I know I didn't get one. I blame no one but myself if anything goes wrong in the next year and a half...
QUOTE Thanks
Docal97

 
Member Since: Dec 25, 2010
Posts: 5
Docal97 is on a distinguished road

Docal97 is offline
I think that you should get the entry level model and just do upgrades on your own as needed and as costs come into line. The stock 15" is more than ok for all of your needs. There is really no reason to spend 3-3.5 k on a laptop unless you really have money to burn. I understand the part about 'future proofing', but the reality is that most people keep their laptops 3-4 years and then upgrade. From my experience, it takes about that long for both the need for a faster machine plus the number of new upgrades available to make it worthwhile to get something new. So whether you get an i5 or i7, you will still probably get a new machine around the same time.

You would be better served, as mentioned in an earlier post, spending about $110 to upgrade the RAM if you wish, and waiting a bit to see if the SSD drives decrease in price and increase in size. Those 2 upgrades alone will give u huge performance increases for much less than the 3500 total you mentioned. I would rather wait for the SSD drive than to upgrade to a 7200 rpm hd. I doubt that you will notice that much of a difference with most uses with the 7200 rpm drive.

Good luck and keep us updated......
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

 
TheGreatApple's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 28, 2009
Location: Texas Baby! ;)
Posts: 242
TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

TheGreatApple is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
4gb should be fine for what you're doing, if you get the i7.
And no, 4gb sticks are not expensive. They run about $65ish iirc, which is a lot cheaper than they used to be. And the upgrade is extremely easy. And make sure you get the stock hard drive and upgrade it to a 7200rpm drive after market.
Why get a 7200rpm drive AFTER you buy and not just order it with the upgraded 7200rpm drive already since the price bump is only $50 from Apple for the upgrade? Or did you just mean buy a better one than what comes stock from Apple?

Just curious...

**** That's Good Beer! - The Orignal Beer Bloggin' *******
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

 
s2odin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 23, 2010
Posts: 836
s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

s2odin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatApple View Post
Why get a 7200rpm drive AFTER you buy and not just order it with the upgraded 7200rpm drive already since the price bump is only $50 from Apple for the upgrade? Or did you just mean buy a better one than what comes stock from Apple?

Just curious...
Wow, just looked into that.
The 2.4ghz i5 is a $150 upgrade for 500gb 7200
The 2.53ghz i5 is only $50 upgrade for 500gb 7200, same with the i7

Well if he goes with the 2.53ghz get the upgrade through Apple, but if he gets the 2.4 do it yourself.

Good job on pricing, Apple.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

 
TheGreatApple's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 28, 2009
Location: Texas Baby! ;)
Posts: 242
TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

TheGreatApple is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
Wow, just looked into that.
The 2.4ghz i5 is a $150 upgrade for 500gb 7200
The 2.53ghz i5 is only $50 upgrade for 500gb 7200, same with the i7

Well if he goes with the 2.53ghz get the upgrade through Apple, but if he gets the 2.4 do it yourself.

Good job on pricing, Apple.
Doh! And I was looking at the 17 inch MBP thinking that's what he was talking about lol!

So yes...what you just said!

**** That's Good Beer! - The Orignal Beer Bloggin' *******
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Powerbook G4 15in Aluminum | Lost 3G connection in MacBook »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Known good 21" monitor for macbook pro unibody 15"? baxcarias Switcher Hangout 8 10-07-2009 02:55 AM
I Have a Dilemma, 13" Macbook Pro or 15" Macbook Pro? Fretboard Apple Notebooks 9 09-26-2009 11:44 PM
MacBook Pro has 'lost' Mac Pro [wireless network] waltonic Internet, Networking, and Wireless 0 09-22-2009 01:17 PM
Macbook vs. Macbook Pro carsncars Apple Notebooks 7 08-09-2007 03:01 PM
Macbook Pro 17" is actually cheaper than 15" imaging Apple Notebooks 5 06-04-2006 03:01 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?