MacBook RAM (1.83GHz & 2.4GHz)

My mom's got a MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo (2* 256 MB RAM). I've got a MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (2* 1 GB RAM)

According to Crucial's website the RAM is the same (DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2-667, 1.8V).

Can I pass one of my 1gb modules to my mom (in addition to one of her 256 MB modules), and then buy one 2gb module for myself (in addition to the remaining 1gb)?
    Or does a MacBook's two slots need the exact same size ("mirrored") memory modules?

2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Looks like it should work to me. Some folks like to have matching ram densities/brand in both ram slots...but in the case of these two's not mandatory.

Just swap out the ram from your laptop into your Mom's laptop...and it should work fine.

Then get yourself that 2gig ram stick + the 1 gig you have remaining...and then you'll have 3 gig of ram.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    As long as they are the same type of RAM, you can give her another stick. You will lose dual channel compatibility but it's not a huge deal.
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

Great – Thanks!
    I do a bit of work in Cinema 4d & Photoshop with sometimes relatively large files. Would dual channel compatibility be important for that? Or would the jump from 2 to 3 GB outweigh that?

Thread Information