Migration Assistant Question
    In MA, can you pick and choose what you want to move to the new computer?
    Secondly, does it moves applications like Photoshop, Final Cut, etc... those are expensive apps and I can't imagine the migration would work without installing them on the new computer?
    I am more concerned about the $20-$50 apps that I have like DVDxCopy, Xtorrent Pro, etc

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    Are you basically wanting to copy your whole HDD across to a new computer? If so I would recommend getting HDD cloning software.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

well, to be honest, i don't feel like my current macbook is very well organized... i feel like stuff is scattered all over it and i'd like some sort of control to see what i am moving over to the new one rather than just cloning the HDD... i have cloned it with carbon copy cloner (though i have done it 3 times and have had some sort of error everytime), but i just thought MA might be a better option

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by jrod81 View Post
    In MA, can you pick and choose what you want to move to the new computer?
    Not really, no.

Secondly, does it moves applications like Photoshop, Final Cut, etc... those are expensive apps and I can't imagine the migration would work without installing them on the new computer?
    Sometimes those high-end apps (most notably Adobe and Quark, never had a problem with Apple Pro apps myself) are picky enough that they want to be re-installed -- but since you certainly haven't stolen those programs, what's the big deal? Just re-install them from your discs.

I am more concerned about the $20-$50 apps that I have like DVDxCopy, Xtorrent Pro, etc
    They copy over just fine IME.

just going to reinstall Adobe stuff... everything else seems to be fine...
    i have moved all the apps, and am moving itunes as i type...
    also moved all my documents... what else do i need to move?
    i realize MA could have done this for me but i really have liked doing it one thing at a time to just make sure i "know my mac" but now i am a bit nervous i am going to miss something and then reformat it to sell and kick myself for the loss...
    is there a list of "things to make sure you move to your new mac" anywhere?
    i had photos in folders on my desktop... i got those, but i guess i need to make sure i don't have iphotos files... doing that now... what else guys?
    thanks
    jared

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    IMO dont stress about what you havnt got. As you go on about your daily business if you find you havnt got something on the new Mac, just hook up the Ext HDD and click and drag what you need .......

Love OS X
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

every time i have ran carbon copy cloner there has been some sort of error... this makes me nervous, but at this point, its time to reformat this bad boy and say goodbye...

Thread Information