Hardware Help for MBP

Hardware Help for MBP
    Hey everyone. Long time Mac User, first time post.

Currently I have a 13 inch Macbook w/ 2.16GHz processor & 2G of RAM which is about 5 years old, and is starting to show it's age. I am in graduate school and I run lots of statistical programs along with running parallels to use some programs that are only available in Windows. When I am running all of my more "intensive" programs, my computer really starts to lag.

Now that I am looking to upgrade to a MBP, I am curious about what type of hardware I should be looking at getting. Obviously being a student, budget is a real concern, so I am trying to be as efficient as possible with my purchase. My first inclination is to get a 13 inch MBP with a 2.4 GHz processor and spec it out with 8G of RAM. However, my friend suggested that given what I want to do, it might be more prudent to get a 13 inch MBP with 2.66 GHz and 4G of RAM.

Basically, I am curious if anyone can help me figure out what would be optimal with regards to processing speed v. RAM given that I want to be running lots of programs at once. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hardware Help for MBP
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Although the memory is an easy DIY, and the cost of going with aftermarket memory is significantly less than getting it through Apple, I really can't imagine you'll notice a difference in clockspeed of 260Mhz.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Hardware Help for MBP
    Specs:
    C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
    Hey everyone. Long time Mac User, first time post.

Currently I have a 13 inch Macbook w/ 2.16GHz processor & 2G of RAM which is about 5 years old, and is starting to show it's age. I am in graduate school and I run lots of statistical programs along with running parallels to use some programs that are only available in Windows. When I am running all of my more "intensive" programs, my computer really starts to lag.

Now that I am looking to upgrade to a MBP, I am curious about what type of hardware I should be looking at getting. Obviously being a student, budget is a real concern, so I am trying to be as efficient as possible with my purchase. My first inclination is to get a 13 inch MBP with a 2.4 GHz processor and spec it out with 8G of RAM. However, my friend suggested that given what I want to do, it might be more prudent to get a 13 inch MBP with 2.66 GHz and 4G of RAM.

Basically, I am curious if anyone can help me figure out what would be optimal with regards to processing speed v. RAM given that I want to be running lots of programs at once. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Go with the cheaper of the two.

And you are not going to notice a difference between 4 and 8gb of RAM. But go with the stock 4gb from Apple, and monitor your RAM usage. If you notice it starting to lag, then pick up an 8gb kit. The 2.4 ghz with 4gb of RAM sounds perfect for you.
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

Thread Information