New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP optic drive firmware update?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Timtraveller

Timtraveller is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen,

My '06 Macbook Pro has been a most reliable workinghorse and I do expect it to run for some time yet *however, the optic drive is start to show some wear and tear, possibly due to me having used it pretty much for listening to music (that is, wearing it out more than would be ideal).

In fact, it has always rejected a couple music CDs (it seems those a bit thicker), but now it also starts rejecting data DVDs and this concerns me more.

Before opting to replace the optic drive, there's some firmware available? I sought a bit on apple.com but didn't find a precise optic drive firmware update, and otherwise the machine works wonderfully so I don't want to do unnecessary installations.

OSX 10.4.11
HL-DT-ST DVDRW GWA4080M, Firmware Revision AA26

Thanks in advance for any suggestions & pleasant holidays,
Tim
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

No, there's no firmware available for the drives.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Timtraveller

OK, thanks for the prompt reply.

I'll have to see about replacing the optic drive then... if it gets worse.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Before you opt to replace it, I suggest you get a lens cleaner. Dust will accumulate on the lens A lens cleaner will help in removing this and quite often all that is really needed.

Just one option from Amazon - link.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I mean no disrespect Tom, but I think those things are complete bunk. I've seen the little brushes they use pop off and become lodged in the drive.

A few quick blasts of compressed air into the drive should remove most dust build up. Cleaners like these play upon the memories those of us used to have of cleaning our magnetic media devices like cassette tape players and VCRs, which used to make physical contact with the media they played.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Compressed air is what I use also.

Maybe it's the youngster techs influencing me.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Timtraveller

OK thanks, will try it out first!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Only thought I would add...slot loading optical drives (MacBooks, MacBook Pros, iMacs, Mac-mini's)...certainly are harder to clean than tray-loading drives.

When you blast them with compressed air...where the heck does the dust or "dust bunnies" go...since the only opening (the slot) has that "fuzzy" material covering it. So the "dust bunnies" aren't gotten rid of...they're probably blown into a "nook" or void inside the drive.

As far as lens cleaners. These (I think) have a better chance of working on a tray-loading optical drive (because they fit into the drive better)...do they even make these for slot-loading drives?

I'm not really "knocking" either method...they're the same ideas I would recommend or use myself. Just mentioning that each method may have it's downside.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
When you blast them with compressed air...where the heck does the dust or "dust bunnies" go...since the only opening (the slot) has that "fuzzy" material covering it. So the "dust bunnies" aren't gotten rid of...they're probably blown into a "nook" or void inside the drive.
Doesn't matter where it goes, just so long as it isn't on the lens. Dust anywhere else isn't going to effect operation.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Doesn't matter where it goes, just so long as it isn't on the lens. Dust anywhere else isn't going to effect operation.
Yeah...you're right...I'm just visualizing a big pile of tiny "dust bunnies" in one of the corners of the drive!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac air memory | Hard drive partitioning macbook pro »