New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

I need some serious advice!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tylermattson

tylermattson is on a distinguished road

I am looking to finally get a MacBook Pro... I was deciding with that and the iPad and think I have made the right choice with the MBP because of its superior productivity.

I have to very general questions:

1) Is the standard 13" model sufficient for an average user? If not, should I go to 15" or just upgrade the 13"?

2) Is it the right time to buy a MBP? Are there any updates coming that I should wait for?

Any help is beyond appreciated and I apologize if these questions seem incredibly general!
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylermattson View Post
I am looking to finally get a MacBook Pro... I was deciding with that and the iPad and think I have made the right choice with the MBP because of its superior productivity.

1) Is the standard 13" model sufficient for an average user? If not, should I go to 15" or just upgrade the 13"?
Yes. If you want to upgrade anything tho, do it yourself. Much cheaper than buying from Apple.
2) Is it the right time to buy a MBP? Are there any updates coming that I should wait for?
If you wait, you might as well never buy another computer again. New things come out all the time. If you need it now, buy it. If you can wait, wait. Yes, there's rumor of Apple upgrading, but personally I don't see them having a big refresh.
Any help is beyond appreciated and I apologize if these questions seem incredibly general!
Answers in red.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylermattson View Post

More than sufficient for the "average" user - in fact, I'd venture to say that the standard MacBook is overkill for what most people use a computer for.

Quote:
No one knows that answer, anything else you read is nothing more than speculation. But as has already been said, if you're always waiting for the next big thing in tech, you'll be waiting forever. Buy the computer you need when you need it and it will continue to suit those needs long after an updated model is released.

Quote:
My advice is to find an Apple Store or reseller near you. Go play with all of the models and see which one feels most comfortable for you. Personally, I prefer the 15" models, since the screen is not something you can upgrade later.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
tylermattson

tylermattson is on a distinguished road

Thanks you guys. That has really helped so far!
QUOTE Thanks
Macs

Macs is on a distinguished road

I have the 13" MacBook Pro, and I can safely say it's way more then you'd ever expect on a computer.

I've had mine a year now and it's been perfect everyday I've used it!

The screen size isn't a issue for me, It's a handy smart size, not to big not to small, but as others said you should take a visit to the apple store test them out!

Hope my little review was helpful
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I love the title of this thread..."I need some serious advice!" As opposed to:

- regular advice
- non-serious advice
- goofy advice
- quick advice
- free advice
- etc.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I love the title of this thread..."I need some serious advice!" As opposed to:

- regular advice
- non-serious advice
- goofy advice
- quick advice
- free advice
- etc.

- Nick
I need some seriously regular, non-serious, goofy, quick and free advise! Any takers?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
I need some seriously regular, non-serious, goofy, quick and free advise! Any takers?
What's the topic?

- how to stay slim?
- thinning hair?
- how to get rich quick?
- problems in the bedroom?
- how to get chicks ("Sheila's" down-under)
- flashing "?" on a Macintosh.

Just teasing...

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
[DT]

[DT] has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB

Howdy!

OK, first of all, I'm almost _never_ serious.

We just scored our first Mac in several years (my business #2 had a few for our design staff). It's a new MBP 13" (4GB, 250GB HDD, 2.4 Ghz C2D). We're adding it to a fleet of Windows machines, and it's looking like it will work out without many issues. I bought this after pretty extensive consideration of the wife's next machine. She also an iPhone user, and the iTunes (combined with iLife) experience is much better under OSX. I also wanted to revisit the Mac since I've always had an interest in them and am also considering some possible iOS (iPhone/iPad) development.

Quote:
The 13" is pretty stout. Unless you're dealing with incredibly CPU intensive tasks, I'd say it's more than enough for most folks. We'll be using it for office chores, web, email, some photo management, handling iTunes for the iPhone 4, and some light video work (mainly short, personal movies). I'll also be messing around with some development, in my non-existent spare time

If portability is high[er] on your list (you know, THE list), then the 13" is pretty hard to beat. The 15" has the perk of a higher resolution option, a faster CPU option and a faster GPU (probably most crucial for 3D work, video production, gaming, etc).

FWIW, even though you didn't mention it, I was sold on the MBP vs the MBA because of the faster CPU, better expandability, and backlit KB.

Quote:
Right now is an excellent time to buy. If you keep a look out, you can score some outstanding deals. Ours was discounted $150 (via a rebate), no tax, free shipping for a total of $1049. Of course, there's some latency with the rebate, but I don't have any worries about that.

Like someone pointed out, if you wait, you're just giving up time you could be using an outstanding computer. Also consider that Apple machines seem to have incredible resale value (vs. Windows machines), so if in 6-8 months, there's an amazing replacement, and I can sell this at a ~$200 loss, that's not bad "rental" cost.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting a Macbook Pro to a HDMI TV using: minidisplay port to HDMI adapter vs DVI | sirius online radio not working »