New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Need more info on OWC and other SSD's for Macbook pro use

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrKay

MrKay is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz,64gb ssd,4gb ram & iphone 4 16gb,ipod,ipod touch 2nd gen

Hi,

i am one of those Macbook pro users who hasn't been able to bring themselves to buy a Macbook Pro (or other) with an SSD. I got a lot out of the OWC SSD review, but am not sure I got everything I need regarding garbage collection and long term use degradation when using such a drive on a Macbook pro

The main question I have is:

Will I get garbage collection (not necessarily 'Trim', but I assume there are other techniques) with any of the available SSD drives when used with a Macbook pro (I am willing to pay up for an enterprise class drive if that is what it takes)?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKay View Post
Hi,

i am one of those Macbook pro users who hasn't been able to bring themselves to buy a Macbook Pro (or other) with an SSD. I got a lot out of the OWC SSD review, but am not sure I got everything I need regarding garbage collection and long term use degradation when using such a drive on a Macbook pro

The main question I have is:

Will I get garbage collection (not necessarily 'Trim', but I assume there are other techniques) with any of the available SSD drives when used with a Macbook pro (I am willing to pay up for an enterprise class drive if that is what it takes)?

thanks
OWC drives are specifically designed for Mac OS X and protect against degradation of the SSD.
OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD Serial ATA 2.5" Solid State Drives using High Performance SandForce Processor solution
You can read more about it there. Scroll to the bottom of the page to read reviews.
Or if you're that worried, you could always e-mail, call them, or do their live chat.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
MrKay

Mac Specs: Macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz,64gb ssd,4gb ram & iphone 4 16gb,ipod,ipod touch 2nd gen

Hi,

just read that Snow Leopard native SSD support is thin and GC/TRIM is non-existent is this true ?
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKay View Post
Hi,

just read that Snow Leopard native SSD support is thin and GC/TRIM is non-existent is this true ?
SL does not support TRIM this is true.
Just get the Mercury from OWC as it is specifically designed for Macs. Buying a different SSD with TRIM is pointless (like Vertex 2, Phoenix Pro, etc) since Snow Leopard does not support it.

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
MrKay

Does snow leopard support garbage collection or do they not support that as well
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Snow Leopard does not support TRIM so the answer is no. Garbage collection is not supported. Chances are (we don't know for sure) that the next major upgrade of OS X (Lion) will have support for TRIM built in.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Mac SSD performance and TRIM in OSX | bit-tech.net

It may well be Snow Leopard does not require TRIM. Have a look through th above link particularly page 7 Analysis "Does Mac OS X need TRIM?". Use an OWC SSD and very impressed with its performance but if anyone goes this way a clean install is essential as cloning makes the drive as slow as a normal hard drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
OWC drives are specifically designed for Mac OS X and protect against degradation of the SSD.
OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD Serial ATA 2.5" Solid State Drives using High Performance SandForce Processor solution
You can read more about it there. Scroll to the bottom of the page to read reviews.
Or if you're that worried, you could always e-mail, call them, or do their live chat.

Hey s2odin. Thanks for making me spend money I don't have! You folks are a bad influence.
QUOTE Thanks
MrKay

@harryb2448

thanks for your reply and thanks to all you guy's as well am gonna go for the owc mercury extreme pro ssd 60gb and let you guy's know how it is
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Mac SSD performance and TRIM in OSX | bit-tech.net

It may well be Snow Leopard does not require TRIM. Have a look through th above link particularly page 7 Analysis "Does Mac OS X need TRIM?". Use an OWC SSD and very impressed with its performance but if anyone goes this way a clean install is essential as cloning makes the drive as slow as a normal hard drive.
Interesting article harry. Thanks for linking to it. It does raise more questions though doesn't it? Some other food for thought.... the new Air machines use Flash storage. How is that affected? Or is it the same as an SSD?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Great thread, I have some of the same concerns over long-term viability. I notice that there's been a lot of articles out there about tuning different applications to prevent SSD issues. In particular, moving caches for applications like a web browser over to a RAM disk in order to avoid constant writes and re-writes. There seems to be some sound reasoning associated with these recommendations.

Maybe I'm being a nervous nelly, but I'm having a hard time parting with $400+ even though I REALLY want a 256GB SSD based on some of these comments.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MrKay

Just wanted to let you guy's know that i have installed a kingston SNV425S264GB bought it used and installed it on my macbook pro 13in mid 2009 2.26ghz 4gb ram 64gb ssd drive and only have the snow leopard on it and few apps have 45.77gb left and my boot time is 18.3sec & shut down time is 3.8sec and firefox opens in that's after the google screen is 3.4sec and all my movies,animes,music are on a external hard drive hopefully once i get the owc ssd after xmas it should hopefully boot up in 10sec
QUOTE Thanks
len0475

len0475 is on a distinguished road

Q: What is different about OWC's Solid-State Drives that separates them from the rest of the market to earn the "Made for Mac" title?
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by len0475 View Post
Q: What is different about OWC's Solid-State Drives that separates them from the rest of the market to earn the "Made for Mac" title?
The controller inside is specifically designed for Mac OS X. Plus it can potentially read/write faster.

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
len0475

len0475 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
The controller inside is specifically designed for Mac OS X. Plus it can potentially read/write faster.
I guess I was looking for a more technical answer. OWC uses a SandForce SF-1200 controller. This very same controller is also used in Corsairs and OCZ SSDs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Headphone Jack incredibly quiet | MacBook Air help? »