New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

battery charging problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bruvone

bruvone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1024ram

I've just gotten my new ibook and have done the whole calibrating the battery thing. Yesterday though my battery started giving me problems. I left my ibook plugged in overnight to recharge. But when I checked it this morning the charge was only at 66%. The light on the plug was still orange as well. I looked at "power" under "about this mac" and it says:

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4628
Remaining Capacity (mAh): 2766

AC Charger Information:

AC Charger (Watts): 50
Connected: Yes
Charging: No

Do you think this would be a problem with the charger or with the battery?
I'm hoping to try out a friends charger in the next couple days, hopefully that will track down the problem.

Any ideas about what else might be going on? I'm using the new 1.33ghz 12inch if that makes any difference.

-Thanx.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

If you bought this new, I would call Apple Support right away and explain the situation. 1-800-275-2273.

You could also reset the PRAM and/or PMU, discussed in the "Instant Fixes" thread at the top of this forum.

Now, this may seem like a reaallly stupid suggestion, but I've known two cases where this situation was in place, so just humor me for a second:

Are you sure the outlet you plugged the adapter into isn't a switched outlet? A friend of mine was convinced that her iBook was going south (just days after the warranty expired) because the battery wouldn't seem to charge. She had her adapter plugged into a wall outlet, and just for grins I turned off the light switch and lo and behold, the adapter turned off.

The only reason I knew to look for this was because the same thing happened to me just a couple weeks earlier. *slaps forehead*

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
bruvone

Thanks for the quick reply. Nope, its not a switched outlet. I think I thought of all the silly things it could be before posting (to save myself the embarassment). I'll try what you suggested though.
QUOTE Thanks
bruvone

OK, I reset the PMU and everything seems to be working normal again. Thanks alot for your help. I really didn't want to have to deal with a problem like this after just days of owning my first mac.
QUOTE Thanks
catchawave

I'm going to jump in here with a question of my own. I just got my new ibook today. And my battery was already at 99% and green. Could it have come already charged??
Do I still need to leave it plugged in overnight - calibrate it?
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchawave
I'm going to jump in here with a question of my own. I just got my new ibook today. And my battery was already at 99% and green. Could it have come already charged??
i used mine right out of the box. i did charge it overnight after i was through using it. i get fairly decent battery time.

PS - "..and you are sitting on top of the world" Jan and Dean

QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I'd like to chime in. I've had the same problem as you, bruvone. And nothing suggested on the Apple support site worked for me, but I did fix the problem by myself without calling Applecare. But definitely follow caribiner23's suggestion first.

Power down your iBook. Take out the battery. Power up your iBook without the battery inserted, yet have your iBook plugged into an outlet. Once the iBook is completely booted up, insert the battery, while the iBook is on.

This method worked for me, so it would not hurt to give it a try, if all else fails.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchawave
It very well may have shown up charged, but I would suggest going through the calibration steps anyway.

And fearless: Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys wrote "Catch a Wave," although he let Jan and Dean use the melody for their song "Sidewalk Surfin'."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook batterie`s future | PowerBook modem & Lotus Notes error »