New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Displays with MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CortlandPV

CortlandPV is on a distinguished road

Is there any way i can run duel displays while in clam shell mode, specifically i want to have two separate desktops not a mirror effect??

Currently i have a mini display port to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable to my tv but im looking to use my MBP for more as desktop while i edit video.

Thanks,
Tom
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Core i5 12GB| OS X.9.3 | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.1

you can do what you are trying but as far as i know you have to use the onboard display as one of your displays...im pretty sure the graphics card will support only one external as the second display

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You can indeed run two external monitors in clamshell mode. I am doing it right now as a test. I have a 24" Samsung and another 19" monitor attached to a 2008 MacBook Pro. The Samsung monitor is attached to the computer's video out port. The 19" monitor is attached to the USB video device I reviewed ATPM 15.08 - Review: OWC USB 2.0 Display Adapter

I suggest doing your homework first. There are similar devices on the market that may or may not have the same limitations this device does. Normally I run with the laptop's screen on. I have noticed that if I switch from clamshell mode back to three active screens I sometimes need to use the Detect Displays option in the Displays preference pane.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
CortlandPV

CortlandPV is on a distinguished road

Thank you for getting back so quickly, do you feel that running the monitor through the USB port its slower or the quality lacks?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandPV View Post
Thank you for getting back so quickly, do you feel that running the monitor through the USB port its slower or the quality lacks?
Maybe you missed the link for his full review?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
... The 19" monitor is attached to the USB video device I reviewed ATPM 15.08 - Review: OWC USB 2.0 Display Adapter

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Not really but then again I am mainly using that monitor to have Mail up, iTunes when it's open and screen sharing. I am not doing any 3D modeling or tasks that really push things graphically. Even when using Photoshop it is mostly photo editing.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook G4 933mhz recommendations on upgrades | Cooling Pad For a 2007 MacBook Pro »