New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Problem PRAM on mbp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sams

Sams is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core i7

Hi,
I have a big problem with my MBP (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.5.8). Very often (several times a week) et mainly when I start up the machine or take it out of sleep, I can't use my trackpad and keyboard, the pointer is there but I can't move it. If I plug in a usb mouse and keyboard, they work.
If I reset the PRAM, trackpad and keyboards are back again (however I often have to do a couple of restartings before it works, as if the keyboard was not always recognized before the grey screen appears). So it seems to be a problem with the PRAM, but which?? And more importantly, how can I solve this?
Another weird thing is that Norton AV is searching for updates after each PRAM resetting, even if it did update the day before.

Thanks a lot for your help

MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (2GB/200GB) Mac OS X 10.5.6
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Number one recommendation - uninstall Norton and see if your issue goes away.

And use it's uninstaller, don't just drag it to the trash.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Sams

Interestingly enough, I don't have any uninstaller in my Symantec Solutions folder (Late Breaking News - Live update - Read Me Files - Register your software - Symantec AntiVirus -Symantec Scheduler). I got this program from my former employee and I downloaded it from the intranet...

QUOTE Thanks
Sams

I downloaded a more recent version of Symantec in which I see the folder "RemoveSymantecMacFiles". Should I use that then?

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'd give it a try. Re-boot after and take a peek at Activity Monitor to see if anything is still running. If so, may need to install the latest version and then uninstall.

The older versions did not package and uninstaller and were a pitr to remove.
Have seen some very strange things affected by Norton, hence recommendation to remove it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Sams

It did seem to work, I can't see any Symantec file anymore, and the Activity Monitor doesn't show it either.
Thanks for the help, I hope it works. I will have to wait and see whether the problem occurs again. If yes, then I'll be back, otherwise thanks a lot!

QUOTE Thanks
Sams

Oh, forgot to mention, the uninstaller wrote that it would uninstall everything except the Symantec Administrator Console, don't know what that is?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Charger cable is really hot | Help connecting macbook to TV »