Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Dec 17, 2010
    Posts
    4
    Faint "Ding" Sound coming from brand new Macbook Pro
    I just got my Macbook Pro 15" yesterday. A few hours ago I heard a faint ding noise coming from the computer. It is very annoying. It's not a beep and it doesn't seem to be coming from speakers. Sometimes when I toggle the computer I can hear it too. It's almost as if something was loose inside.

    What are my options here? Any help? PLEEEASE.

  2. #2

    s2odin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Posts
    836
    Specs:
    C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    Like a metal clanking sound?

    Run Disk Utility and verify and repair the disk. Could be a bad hard drive which is dying. If everything seems fine with it, I would take the back case off and turn it upside down to see if there's anything loose inside. If there's nothing loose with it, I would take it to an Apple store and see what they can do.
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Dec 17, 2010
    Posts
    4
    Yes, I suppose it's a very faint metal clanking sound noise.

    Would the Apple store charge me to see if anything is wrong? I mean, it's two days old!

  4. #4

    s2odin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Posts
    836
    Specs:
    C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyvaz View Post
    Yes, I suppose it's a very faint metal clanking sound noise.

    Would the Apple store charge me to see if anything is wrong? I mean, it's two days old!
    Nope, under warranty for a year. Take it in and just bring your receipt / proof of purchase.
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Sounds to me that you mean the noise it makes when the hard drive is parking when you move the Mac around!
    Could that be it?

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Dec 17, 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thank you for your prompt responses/help.

    I found a YouTube video showing the noise.

    It's HERE. The only difference is mine doesn't sound so frequently but it is the exact same noise.

    I also found THIS "solution" and since you seem to have more knowledge regarding this stuff I'm asking for your opinion if you think it is ok to remove that piece?

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyvaz View Post
    Thank you for your prompt responses/help.

    I found a YouTube video showing the noise.

    It's HERE. The only difference is mine doesn't sound so frequently but it is the exact same noise.

    I also found THIS "solution" and since you seem to have more knowledge regarding this stuff I'm asking for your opinion if you think it is ok to remove that piece?
    I wouldn't even consider touching it unless you want to void your warranty.
    If you just got yesterday, take it into Apple to have it looked at, or swapped over.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Dec 17, 2010
    Posts
    4
    They can swap it even if I didn't buy it at an apple store?
    Here is a small problem with that my boyfriend bought it for me at his online army exchange store. He has a return policy of 15 days from purchase. I leave on a road trip halway across the country in 2 days and will be gone for 2 weeks. If I take it with me to an apple store and they charge me or can't fix it or swap it I also won't have time to return it twhere we bought it from.

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    I'd just give Apple a call and see what your options are.

  10. #10

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,808
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyvaz View Post
    They can swap it even if I didn't buy it at an apple store?
    Here is a small problem with that my boyfriend bought it for me at his online army exchange store. He has a return policy of 15 days from purchase. I leave on a road trip halway across the country in 2 days and will be gone for 2 weeks. If I take it with me to an apple store and they charge me or can't fix it or swap it I also won't have time to return it twhere we bought it from.
    Don't deal with Apple or contact them. Just have your boy friend return it to the AAFES store (PX or BX) that he purchased it from and ask for a new one. They'll swap it out no questions asked. I shop at military exchanges often and can verify that their customer service is top notch.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Intermittent "Cash Register" Bell Sound on Macbook Pro
    By Clearfocus in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-23-2014, 02:16 PM
  2. Weird "ding dong"/shooting star notification sound
    By mr_goodbomb in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 11:42 PM
  3. "Sounds" coming from Macbook Pro- Normal? Is yours silent??
    By MacNewbie in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 09:07 AM
  4. 12" MacBook Pro-Coming Soon?
    By youthpastor in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 10:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •