New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

locked out of computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nicabuck

nicabuck is on a distinguished road

here's my story. my boyfriends mother found a computer in a rental car. she didn't trust the agents at the rental place so she kept it with her. we called the rental place and left our information for the lady to call us if she contacted them again or if they would call her to give her our info. it is now december and of course we never heard from the lady who owns the computer. so now we would like to use it but of course it is password protected. how can we go about getting the computer so that we can use it?? any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

What you should do is contact Apple with the serial number, and hopefully they have the contact information of who it is registered to.
QUOTE Thanks
nicabuck

nicabuck is on a distinguished road

i know who it is registered to because her name is on the computer when it boots up but i am sure that by now (9 months) she has gotten a new computer. i am sure that apple wouldn't give me her password even if they did know it. so my question is what can i do to bypass her password login so that i can use the computer for myself. already called apple and they charge to do it over the phone. trying to avoid spending a lot of money on this.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Apple is not going to give out anyone's password, and they wouldn't know it anyway.
You can take it into Apple, and leave it with them, and they can organise for the return of the computer.

Quote:
i know who it is registered to because her name is on the computer when it boots up
Then you can try to locate this person, or take it to Apple as I suggested above!

Quote:
i am sure that by now (9 months) she has gotten a new computer.
What does that have to do with anything? It belongs to them!

Sounds to me like you have no intentions of returning the computer to the rightful owner, and only wish to bypass the password so that you can keep it!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Sounds to me like you have no intentions of returning the computer to the rightful owner, and only wish to bypass the password so that you can keep it!
Whoah there! I think that's an awfully big leap to make.

9 months is a fair bit of time to wait, especially given that the OP left their contact details with the rental place.

The easiest and most ethical thing to do (IMO) would be to format the hard drive and start anew, so as to avoid stumbling into any personal data. Assuming it's an Intel-based Mac, you can do this with the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade disc. If you want to get the best experience, it might be worth it to pick up the "Mac Boxed Set", which includes iLife and iWork.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Whoah there! I think that's an awfully big leap to make.

9 months is a fair bit of time to wait, especially given that the OP left their contact details with the rental place.
It is very possible that the person who lost their computer has no idea where she lost it.
Being a car rental place, also adds the possibility of this person being a tourist, traveller, etc
This being the case makes it very difficult to track down lost items.

I personally would be very greatful, even if after 9 months, that if I had lost a computer (or anything for that matter), that the person who found it made the effort to have it returned to me.... in fact, I would offer them some kind of compensation for their troubles.
But hey, that's just me!
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

This is actually very simple.
The computer is not yours so hand it over to the authorities and they can track the owner down and return it. Maybe the owner has data on There that is of high value to him/her.
I would have left it with the rental company.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

I agree, 9 months does not equal "it is now mine". Call Apple and give them the information so they can try to contact the owner or call the authorities. Just leaving your name at the rental place is minimal effort.

FYI, my wife works for one of those "rental places" and her office goes out of their way to reunite people with their belongings. After reading your efforts, I think it would have found its way home by now in their posession.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And who knows? The rental company clerk may have just trashed the record of your call as it is not their problem. Take it to the police and advise what happened. If it is not claimed within a statutory period, usually three months, you may well be able to lodge a claim for the return of the goods.

To go about it this way may well leave someone open to a charge of larceny by finding.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro mid 2009 2.26ghz SSD 64GB How To Format | 2gb max memory... really...?? »