Thread: GPU Diode?

Specs:
    15" MBP|i7 2.66ghz|512mb GT330M|4gb DDR3|500gb 7200rpm SATA|HD Display
    Question GPU Diode?
    Hey everyone,

I got my new 15" MBP a week ago and I love it, then today something strange happened. Yesterday I downloaded iStat Nano to my dashboard to track my machine's stats. I do a lot of HD video editing and compiling as well as 3D modeling and animation so I wanted to keep an eye on things. Under the temperatures menu, one of the listed devices was the GPU Diode, a separate temperature from the GPU. After doing some rendering this morning I was checking my temperatures and blammo, GPU Diode reading -127 degrees celsius! What's up with that? Everything else was running fine. So, I restarted thinking it was just a glitch and now my GPU diode is completely gone from that list. What is this thing and did I fry it? Everything still seems to be running fine, I can still play back 720p footage and I haven't received any warnings or error messages. Someone help me!

-James

Specs:
    C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    Probably just a glitch, nothing to worry about.
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Just read a thread from 2008 with the exact same temp as your as the posters says " -127 just means that the monitoring program isn't getting a correct reading from that diode"
    They suggest to reinstall the Widget ....
    But my recommendation is to download iStat Menus .v 2.0 ... This is a a awesome App and does everything and more than the one you have. You can configure it to have all the things you monitor most sitting in the Menu bar. I have the paid version which is .v 3. They have only recently made it paid for Apps but worth every cent IMHO. The link i gave gives you the FREE version but still a very good one and a lot around here still only have the .v2
    Hope this helps and is what your looking for

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    15" MBP|i7 2.66ghz|512mb GT330M|4gb DDR3|500gb 7200rpm SATA|HD Display
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Just read a thread from 2008 with the exact same temp as your as the posters says " -127 just means that the monitoring program isn't getting a correct reading from that diode"
    They suggest to reinstall the Widget ....
    But my recommendation is to download iStat Menus .v 2.0 ... This is a a awesome App and does everything and more than the one you have. You can configure it to have all the things you monitor most sitting in the Menu bar. I have the paid version which is .v 3. They have only recently made it paid for Apps but worth every cent IMHO. The link i gave gives you the FREE version but still a very good one and a lot around here still only have the .v2
    Hope this helps and is what your looking for

Cheers
    Just downloaded it and it's got a lot of nice features, thanks for the tip. No mention of a GPU diode in the stats so I'm going to assume iStat just got a glitch. If I notice any drastic changes to anything I'll be sure to look into it further.

Thread Information