What is the best new mac laptop?
    Hi all,

Basically, my wife wants a mac laptop. While I know some about PCs, I know nothing about macs. What would be a good mac to buy?

Basically, I want a very fast mac. I would like a 64bit os, atleast 4gb of ram, some sort of dual or quad core.

Her old laptop has a 14 inch screen, so it has to be atleast that big. I don't know much about the video cards. The video cards has to be good enough to play movies at full screen.

Please, let me know the top models.

Thanks, alot!

Grae

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Go to this LINK. It's the on line Apple Store. Browse the MacBook and MacBook Pro models. Or go to your nearest Apple store and talk with one of the sales persons there. They'll be happy to demo the various models for you and your wife. Then let her make up her mind. Nice Xmas present.

Hi,

Thanks, for the link. I guess I am going to go with a MacBook Pro. Do you know anything about the 64bit OS? Do Macs have a 64 bit os?

Grae

Specs:
    C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    Quote Originally Posted by caalip View Post
    Hi,

Thanks, for the link. I guess I am going to go with a MacBook Pro. Do you know anything about the 64bit OS? Do Macs have a 64 bit os?

Grae
    Yes, Mac OS X is 64bit.
    As far as the RAM goes, get 2GB from Apple and upgrade yourself, much cheaper this way. If you get the 15" MBP I would highly recommend the screen upgrade to 1680x1050.
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    This will answer your questions on that.

Apple - Mac OS X - New technologies in Snow Leopard

Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    It looks like all the latest MBP models come with 4GB of memory. So all you really need to upgrade is the screen resolution if you want.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM
    Uh, Mac Book Pro is 64 bit, except. Not sure that Apple is still doing it, but as of a year ago, a new Mac Book Pro with Snow Leopard was shipped with it set into 32 bit mode. Snow Leopard is noticeably faster in 64 bit mode, and in the last six months has never hiccuped on me due to bit mode. The easiest way to see if you are in 32 bit or 64 bit mode, is to click on the little Apple on the upper left hand side of the desktop. Choose more, go down the list and click on software. The easiest way to change bit mode for a single session: while doing a power up, hold down either the 3 and 2 keys or the 6 and 4 keys for that session. For choosing the bit mode on a more permanent basis, might be best to ask the Experts at the Apple store.

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Unless you are using at minimum 8GB or more of RAM, the whole question of 64-bit OS doesn't really matter much. Individual apps will run at 64-bit if they can, regardless.

In short, 64-bit OS is much, much less of an issue than people think it is. But yes, Mac OS X is a 64-bit OS.

Mac OSx isn't native 64 bit. You have to boot into 64 bit if that is what you want to do. But it is true that many apps will run in 64 bit even if you are running the native os in 32 bit.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Docal97 View Post
    Mac OSx isn't native 64 bit. You have to boot into 64 bit if that is what you want to do. But it is true that many apps will run in 64 bit even if you are running the native os in 32 bit.
    There's a lot of misconception about running the KERNEL in 64-bit mode (the OS is native 64-bit, but you can opt whether or not to run the kernel in 64-bit mode). Please read:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...means-you.html
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information