New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

What is the best new mac laptop?

Thread Closed

caalip

caalip is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Basically, my wife wants a mac laptop. While I know some about PCs, I know nothing about macs. What would be a good mac to buy?

Basically, I want a very fast mac. I would like a 64bit os, atleast 4gb of ram, some sort of dual or quad core.

Her old laptop has a 14 inch screen, so it has to be atleast that big. I don't know much about the video cards. The video cards has to be good enough to play movies at full screen.

Please, let me know the top models.

Thanks, alot!

Grae
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Go to this LINK. It's the on line Apple Store. Browse the MacBook and MacBook Pro models. Or go to your nearest Apple store and talk with one of the sales persons there. They'll be happy to demo the various models for you and your wife. Then let her make up her mind. Nice Xmas present.
caalip

caalip is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Thanks, for the link. I guess I am going to go with a MacBook Pro. Do you know anything about the 64bit OS? Do Macs have a 64 bit os?

Grae
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caalip View Post
Hi,

Thanks, for the link. I guess I am going to go with a MacBook Pro. Do you know anything about the 64bit OS? Do Macs have a 64 bit os?

Grae
Yes, Mac OS X is 64bit.
As far as the RAM goes, get 2GB from Apple and upgrade yourself, much cheaper this way. If you get the 15" MBP I would highly recommend the screen upgrade to 1680x1050.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

This will answer your questions on that.

Apple - Mac OS X - New technologies in Snow Leopard
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

It looks like all the latest MBP models come with 4GB of memory. So all you really need to upgrade is the screen resolution if you want.
purple

purple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM

Uh, Mac Book Pro is 64 bit, except. Not sure that Apple is still doing it, but as of a year ago, a new Mac Book Pro with Snow Leopard was shipped with it set into 32 bit mode. Snow Leopard is noticeably faster in 64 bit mode, and in the last six months has never hiccuped on me due to bit mode. The easiest way to see if you are in 32 bit or 64 bit mode, is to click on the little Apple on the upper left hand side of the desktop. Choose more, go down the list and click on software. The easiest way to change bit mode for a single session: while doing a power up, hold down either the 3 and 2 keys or the 6 and 4 keys for that session. For choosing the bit mode on a more permanent basis, might be best to ask the Experts at the Apple store.
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

MPG - Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Booting into 64-bit mode (Snow Leopard)
Docal97

Docal97 is on a distinguished road

Mac OSx isn't native 64 bit. You have to boot into 64 bit if that is what you want to do. But it is true that many apps will run in 64 bit even if you are running the native os in 32 bit.
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docal97 View Post
Mac OSx isn't native 64 bit. You have to boot into 64 bit if that is what you want to do. But it is true that many apps will run in 64 bit even if you are running the native os in 32 bit.
There's a lot of misconception about running the KERNEL in 64-bit mode (the OS is native 64-bit, but you can opt whether or not to run the kernel in 64-bit mode). Please read:

64-bit and Snow Leopard – What 64-bit means for you

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Thread Closed

« Macbook won't turn on | macbook and 42''sharp lcd »