Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade
    MrKay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 24, 2009
    Posts
    79
    Specs:
    Macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz,64gb ssd,4gb ram & iphone 4 16gb,ipod,ipod touch 2nd gen
    Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade
    Hi guys,

    i need some help has any one upgraded your hard drive to a 1tb hard drive if so will it fit in this model and if so which one is the best one at the moment am looking at

    Western Digital WD10TPVT 1TB 2.5" Hard Drive 5200rpm 8MB Cache - OEM Scoprio Blue

    or

    Toshiba MK1059GSM 1TB 2.5" Hard Drive SATAII 5400rpm 8MB Cache - OEM

    or are there any other better one's out there i have a 500gb western digital scorpio blue which has only 11gb left in my macbook pro 13in mid 2009 model and i know these hard drive are 12.5mm thanks

  2. #2
    Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade
    s2odin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Posts
    836
    Specs:
    C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    12.5mm drives are too tall.

    The biggest 9.5mm drive is 750GB.
    Why don't you just get a 1TB external drive with firewire?
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

  3. #3
    Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade
    MrKay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 24, 2009
    Posts
    79
    Specs:
    Macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz,64gb ssd,4gb ram & iphone 4 16gb,ipod,ipod touch 2nd gen
    Quote Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
    12.5mm drives are too tall.

    The biggest 9.5mm drive is 750GB.
    Why don't you just get a 1TB external drive with firewire?

    Hi,

    i do have some external drive but there full to i just want an internal drive i read from some where you can put a 1tb 2.5 12.5mm drive in your macbook pro but not hundred percent sure tho

  4. #4
    Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade
    s2odin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Posts
    836
    Specs:
    C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKay View Post
    Hi,

    i do have some external drive but there full to i just want an internal drive i read from some where you can put a 1tb 2.5 12.5mm drive in your macbook pro but not hundred percent sure tho
    Apple - Support - Discussions - 12.5mm thick hard drive on macbook ...

    Looks like it will fit, but not like it is designed to. Your back cover will not close all the way, so the way I see it, it does not fit. Up to you tho. And remember with a 1 TB HD there are 3 spinning platters in there. 5000RPM is probably the max speed, which is going to be slower than the default apple hard drives. If you are used to things going slow, then by all means go ahead and do it. If you want speed, pick up a 1TB+ external hard drive with firewire and use that as your main storage and free up some space on your current hard drive.
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

  5. #5
    Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade

    Member Since
    Jan 03, 2008
    Posts
    78
    Specs:
    27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB
    Many people have successfully installed 12.5mm hard drives into unibody non-removable battery MacBook Pros of all sizes. OWC technicians have done it many times. I did it on the 15in MBP.

    Buy the Toshiba, try it, if it doesn't fit, put it in an external.
    Mac4Life (with a PC gaming rig as well)

  6. #6
    Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,284
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Just remember... anytime you make modifications that are not recommended by Apple, you risk voiding your warranty. Yes, I know that some models of the MBP can accept a 12.5 mm drive easier than others, but there is a good reason why Apple does not install them from the factory.

    And I would like to see the article or LINK that shows OWC installing 12.5 mm drives in a MBP. Since OWC is an authorized Apple reseller and repair, I have some doubt about them condoning that.

  7. #7
    Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade
    MrKay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 24, 2009
    Posts
    79
    Specs:
    Macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz,64gb ssd,4gb ram & iphone 4 16gb,ipod,ipod touch 2nd gen
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Just remember... anytime you make modifications that are not recommended by Apple, you risk voiding your warranty. Yes, I know that some models of the MBP can accept a 12.5 mm drive easier than others, but there is a good reason why Apple does not install them from the factory.

    And I would like to see the article or LINK that shows OWC installing 12.5 mm drives in a MBP. Since OWC is an authorized Apple reseller and repair, I have some doubt about them condoning that.
    hear is the link

    1.0TB WD Scorpio Blue 5200RPM Serial ATA **12... (WD10TPVT) at OWC

    there is no video of them installing 12.5 mm drives in a MBP they just say it does

  8. #8
    Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade
    s2odin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Posts
    836
    Specs:
    C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    Quote Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
    Apple - Support - Discussions - 12.5mm thick hard drive on macbook ...

    Looks like it will fit, but not like it is designed to. Your back cover will not close all the way, so the way I see it, it does not fit. Up to you tho. And remember with a 1 TB HD there are 3 spinning platters in there. 5000RPM is probably the max speed, which is going to be slower than the default apple hard drives. If you are used to things going slow, then by all means go ahead and do it. If you want speed, pick up a 1TB+ external hard drive with firewire and use that as your main storage and free up some space on your current hard drive.
    ^^^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKay View Post
    hear is the link

    1.0TB WD Scorpio Blue 5200RPM Serial ATA **12... (WD10TPVT) at OWC

    there is no video of them installing 12.5 mm drives in a MBP they just say it does
    MBP's are designed to take a maximum height of 9.5mm. A 12.5mm will fit, but you will not be able to close the case all the way.
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

  9. #9
    Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade
    XJ-linux's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2007
    Location
    Going Galt...
    Posts
    3,418
    Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.3
    Good luck with overheating and foreign objects if you do a half assed install with the case not comoletely closed.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

  10. #10
    Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,284
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    @MrKay

    Just because OWC sells them and says they'll fit those models that are indicated does not mean it's an accepted practice. In the end, it's up to you whether or not to go that route. It's your machine.

  11. #11
    Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade
    MrKay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 24, 2009
    Posts
    79
    Specs:
    Macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz,64gb ssd,4gb ram & iphone 4 16gb,ipod,ipod touch 2nd gen
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    @MrKay

    Just because OWC sells them and says they'll fit those models that are indicated does not mean it's an accepted practice. In the end, it's up to you whether or not to go that route. It's your machine.

    ok thanks guys for your help i guess i'll just wait for one to come out with 9.5mm but at the moment looks like i will have to get a 2tb external hard drive anyone know any good one for mac thanks

  12. #12
    Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade

    Member Since
    Jan 30, 2012
    Posts
    7
    I dunno if I'm too late on this, but they do have a 9.5mm one now.
    Search up WD10JPVT.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. MacBook Pro mid 2009 replaced hard drive won't partition
    By Henryr08 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 03:49 PM
  2. Upgrading Hard Drive - MacBook Pro 13" mid 2009
    By jchamberlain80 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 07:53 AM
  3. How to: Upgrade Hard Drive 2009 Macbook Pro 13
    By s2odin in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 01:06 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2010, 12:40 AM
  5. 2009 MacBook Pro Hard drive upgrade
    By materialised in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-05-2009, 10:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •