New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro 13in mid 2009 1tb hard drive upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrKay

MrKay is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz,64gb ssd,4gb ram & iphone 4 16gb,ipod,ipod touch 2nd gen

Hi guys,

i need some help has any one upgraded your hard drive to a 1tb hard drive if so will it fit in this model and if so which one is the best one at the moment am looking at

Western Digital WD10TPVT 1TB 2.5" Hard Drive 5200rpm 8MB Cache - OEM Scoprio Blue

or

Toshiba MK1059GSM 1TB 2.5" Hard Drive SATAII 5400rpm 8MB Cache - OEM

or are there any other better one's out there i have a 500gb western digital scorpio blue which has only 11gb left in my macbook pro 13in mid 2009 model and i know these hard drive are 12.5mm thanks
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

12.5mm drives are too tall.

The biggest 9.5mm drive is 750GB.
Why don't you just get a 1TB external drive with firewire?

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
MrKay

Mac Specs: Macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz,64gb ssd,4gb ram & iphone 4 16gb,ipod,ipod touch 2nd gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
12.5mm drives are too tall.

The biggest 9.5mm drive is 750GB.
Why don't you just get a 1TB external drive with firewire?

Hi,

i do have some external drive but there full to i just want an internal drive i read from some where you can put a 1tb 2.5 12.5mm drive in your macbook pro but not hundred percent sure tho
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKay View Post
Hi,

i do have some external drive but there full to i just want an internal drive i read from some where you can put a 1tb 2.5 12.5mm drive in your macbook pro but not hundred percent sure tho
Apple - Support - Discussions - 12.5mm thick hard drive on macbook ...

Looks like it will fit, but not like it is designed to. Your back cover will not close all the way, so the way I see it, it does not fit. Up to you tho. And remember with a 1 TB HD there are 3 spinning platters in there. 5000RPM is probably the max speed, which is going to be slower than the default apple hard drives. If you are used to things going slow, then by all means go ahead and do it. If you want speed, pick up a 1TB+ external hard drive with firewire and use that as your main storage and free up some space on your current hard drive.

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
recon731

recon731 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB

Many people have successfully installed 12.5mm hard drives into unibody non-removable battery MacBook Pros of all sizes. OWC technicians have done it many times. I did it on the 15in MBP.

Buy the Toshiba, try it, if it doesn't fit, put it in an external.

Mac4Life (with a PC gaming rig as well)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Just remember... anytime you make modifications that are not recommended by Apple, you risk voiding your warranty. Yes, I know that some models of the MBP can accept a 12.5 mm drive easier than others, but there is a good reason why Apple does not install them from the factory.

And I would like to see the article or LINK that shows OWC installing 12.5 mm drives in a MBP. Since OWC is an authorized Apple reseller and repair, I have some doubt about them condoning that.
QUOTE Thanks
MrKay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Just remember... anytime you make modifications that are not recommended by Apple, you risk voiding your warranty. Yes, I know that some models of the MBP can accept a 12.5 mm drive easier than others, but there is a good reason why Apple does not install them from the factory.

And I would like to see the article or LINK that shows OWC installing 12.5 mm drives in a MBP. Since OWC is an authorized Apple reseller and repair, I have some doubt about them condoning that.
hear is the link

1.0TB WD Scorpio Blue 5200RPM Serial ATA **12... (WD10TPVT) at OWC

there is no video of them installing 12.5 mm drives in a MBP they just say it does
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
Apple - Support - Discussions - 12.5mm thick hard drive on macbook ...

Looks like it will fit, but not like it is designed to. Your back cover will not close all the way, so the way I see it, it does not fit. Up to you tho. And remember with a 1 TB HD there are 3 spinning platters in there. 5000RPM is probably the max speed, which is going to be slower than the default apple hard drives. If you are used to things going slow, then by all means go ahead and do it. If you want speed, pick up a 1TB+ external hard drive with firewire and use that as your main storage and free up some space on your current hard drive.
^^^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKay View Post
hear is the link

1.0TB WD Scorpio Blue 5200RPM Serial ATA **12... (WD10TPVT) at OWC

there is no video of them installing 12.5 mm drives in a MBP they just say it does
MBP's are designed to take a maximum height of 9.5mm. A 12.5mm will fit, but you will not be able to close the case all the way.

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Good luck with overheating and foreign objects if you do a half assed install with the case not comoletely closed.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

@MrKay

Just because OWC sells them and says they'll fit those models that are indicated does not mean it's an accepted practice. In the end, it's up to you whether or not to go that route. It's your machine.
QUOTE Thanks
MrKay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
@MrKay

Just because OWC sells them and says they'll fit those models that are indicated does not mean it's an accepted practice. In the end, it's up to you whether or not to go that route. It's your machine.

ok thanks guys for your help i guess i'll just wait for one to come out with 9.5mm but at the moment looks like i will have to get a 2tb external hard drive anyone know any good one for mac thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Gh0st

Gh0st is on a distinguished road

I dunno if I'm too late on this, but they do have a 9.5mm one now.
Search up WD10JPVT.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP External display wrong resolutions | Sata 3 optical bay »