New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

broadband2go using 64bit OS X kernel?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mbpro13

mbpro13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 7,1 : 2.66GHz C2D-4GB RAM-120GB X-25 SSD

My VirginMobile Broadband2Go USB 3G modem works great using the 32 bit OS X kernel (10.6.5), but if I boot into the 64 bit kernel (by holding down the 6 & 4 keys when booting) it fails to function. It shows up under Network Preferences but the Connect button is grayed out.

If I physically unplug it and then plug it back in, it opens the installation windows as if this was the first time I was connecting it. I can then run the installer, and it seems to complete normally, but the Broadband2Go app is not installed, and the modem (still showing up in Network Preferences) doesn't allow me to connect.

This isn't the end of the world, as it does work under the 32 bit kernel, but I was wondering if anyone has had success with this using the 64 bit kernel.

Noobishly yours,

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You may want to contact Virgin and see if they support the 64-bit OS..if not..not much you can do about it short of running 32-bit..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
mbpro13

mbpro13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 7,1 : 2.66GHz C2D-4GB RAM-120GB X-25 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
You may want to contact Virgin and see if they support the 64-bit OS..if not..not much you can do about it short of running 32-bit..

Regards
Thanks for responding, I'll contact Virgin just to encourage them to "fully" support OS X in all it's flavors.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

That would be ideal..but the influx of 64-bit processor and OS' that use them is a recent enough thing that not a lot of vendors have fully embraced it. It'll change in time though..

What is strange, however, is that when you are running the 64-bit OS, it should allow 32-bit applications to continue to function..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Reminds me of the old story. A man goes to his doctor and says, "Doctor, it hurts when I raise my arm." Doctor says, "Don't raise your arm."

There's a reason why Apple doesn't set MacBooks to boot into 64-bit mode by default: 32-bit mode has better driver compatibility.

There is no advantage to using a 64-bit kernel; why do it?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Well, 64 bit is twice as fast as 32 bit isn't it? How many times have I heard that one.....?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Well, 64 bit is twice as fast as 32 bit isn't it? How many times have I heard that one.....?
Like totally..I mean it's 32 extra bits..they HAVE to do something good right..why have those bits if they aren't making me browse the Internet faster or make my word processing fly!

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
So many times, I have given up trying to explain it. It falls on deaf ears.

I know a lot of us grew up in a generation that started with 8-bit Ataris and Nintendos, and then were dumbfounded by the 16-bit Sega Genesis, and then later, the 32-bit Playstation, each of which were an order of magnitude more powerful and immersive. So, I think we subconsciously think that 64-bit means the same kind of evolution.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
northrnchimp

northrnchimp will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

Quote:
A 5-10% speed boost for certain tasks seems reason enough for me:

MPG - Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Snow Leopard Performance

Benchmark results for Snow Leopard: 32- versus 64-bit kernel | Jonathan Birge
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northrnchimp View Post
A 5-10% speed boost for certain tasks seems reason enough for me:
Really? You'd take a tiny speed increase on a handful of tasks even if that meant you couldn't get on the Internet?

Priorities, I guess.
QUOTE Thanks
northrnchimp

northrnchimp will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

Quote:
Really? You'd take a tiny speed increase on a handful of tasks even if that meant you couldn't get on the Internet?
I think you confused me with the thread starter, I'm not having any connection problems, or any problems at all in six months of the 64-bit kernel.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New external plus/or hard drive? | Web Cam - Green Light »