New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Sold my MBP 15'' and got me a 13'' air

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CanonTMR

CanonTMR is on a distinguished road

So as you can read in the title, I got a new macbook air, what are some programs every mac user needs?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Congratulations, fine machine the new MBA.
Apart from not overseeing the Apple bundled applications,
1Password - A must have for me, can't imagine using the web without this. Slightly expensive but once you use it you'll wonder why you didn't earlier.
VLC - Jack-of-all-codecs video player
TrashMe - First rate application and related files deleter.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonTMR View Post
So as you can read in the title, I got a new macbook air, what are some programs every mac user needs?
Shouldn't you know the apps if you had a MBP? Lol.

Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX
Adium - Download
The Unarchiver
Carbon Copy Cloner - Home // SuperDuper!
Burn - Home

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
CanonTMR

Yeps, I got all those, those I knew. Any special things that I should get or shall I wait till the app store?
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

I did the same thing, going from a 15" 2.4 Ghz i5 MBP to a 2.13 C2D MBA. I couldn't be happier. There are a ton of Mac apps so I'll let someone else rattle off the usual suspects. But, specific to the MBA I'd recommend:
Click-to-Flash: plugin for Safari to stop annoying Flash from sucking up CPU cycles
Coolbook: underclocking utility if it runs hot. Needed on previous MBAs but not so much on the current generation
Applejack: good to clean up the system every so often
iStat Menus: great all around for seeing what your system is doing especially if you run a VM and want to keep track of RAM, etc...
Wine: run some Windows programs somewhat decently without allocating resources to a whole VM operating system. Works best with Internet Explorer and simple well established Windows apps.

Have fun!

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
CanonTMR

AH Click to flash is great!! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
What programs were you using on the MacBook Pro you just sold???...they would work just as well on a MacBook Air.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
CanonTMR

Basically the ones listed, and I already downloaded them, minus hand brake. =P
QUOTE Thanks
yodabeesh

yodabeesh is on a distinguished road

I am realllllly tempted to do the same... sell my MBP 13" and go to MBAir 13". I'm kind of a data hoarder (290GB in music and 100GB video on my HDD at the moment), so I really need to find a way to downsize and streamline if I want to make the dive. Sigh.

Anyways, how do you like the transition?
QUOTE Thanks
CanonTMR

I love it, the MBA is much faster because of the SSD, Photoshop CS5 Opens in about 3 seconds compared to 12 seconds on the 15inch. If you dont have ilife 11 it is VERY VERY nice.
QUOTE Thanks

613 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB

Quote:
AH Click to flash is great!! Thanks!
As a possible alternative, you could ignore installing Flash completely and just use Chrome if you actually need it, since it comes built-in. Then you wouldn't need to bother with Click to Flash.

Even with the recent update Adobe made to Flash, I still find watching a Youtube video the one thing, apart from watching HD video, that sets the fans screaming on my MacBook. You can click an option to watch many videos in HTML5 on their website. Plus many websites are less cluttered without Flash.

If you need to eke out all your battery, it's what I did. But then I usually need as much battery as possible from my machine.

John Gruber explaining it better!

G4 Cube: 450MHz, 1.5GB, 128GB, 10.4.11
MacBook Air 1.8GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB, 10.8.5
iMac: 21.5" 3.06GHz i3, 4GB RAM, 500GB, 10.8.5
Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will Resetting The SMC Erase Data? | My Macbook shuts down all of a sudden! »