New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

RAM Upgrade question 800 vs 667

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dr kaotica

dr kaotica is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1st Gen Itouch | White MacBook, 2.4ghz, X.6

hello all, I have what i have determined to be a early 2008 macbook (purchases in july of 08) 2.4 ghz core 2 duo, currently have 2gb (2x1gb) 667 ddr2 sd ram

Im going to be purchasing a larger hard drive and i figured i should do the ram at the same time, upped to 4gb (2x2gb)

So my question is, when i go into system profiler and hardware, my bus speed says 800 mhz. Does that mean that I should by 800 mhz ram to make it faster? I was under the impression that the bus speed and the RAM speed should match?

So do i buy 667 or 800 mhz ram?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Your machine uses 200 Pin PC2-5300 667 MHz DDR2 SO-DIMM modules.

Purchase from here or from here.
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr kaotica View Post
hello all, I have what i have determined to be a early 2008 macbook (purchases in july of 08) 2.4 ghz core 2 duo, currently have 2gb (2x1gb) 667 ddr2 sd ram

Im going to be purchasing a larger hard drive and i figured i should do the ram at the same time, upped to 4gb (2x2gb)

So my question is, when i go into system profiler and hardware, my bus speed says 800 mhz. Does that mean that I should by 800 mhz ram to make it faster? I was under the impression that the bus speed and the RAM speed should match?

So do i buy 667 or 800 mhz ram?
FSB, or Front Side Bus speed is from the mobo to the RAM, completely independent of the RAM itself. 667 RAM is what yours will support, which is dependent on the mobo. Anyways, the difference between 800 and 667 is negligible.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

System Bus Speed is not the memory speed, which is 667MHz. The 800MHz may not be compatible with your MacBook, even if it is it will be throttled back to the 667MHz speed anyway.

For instance my Mac Pro has a system bus speed of 1.33GHz, however it still uses the 667MHz memory modules.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« a question for experienced macbook users! | MBP Keyboard won't "turn back on" »