New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

a question for experienced macbook users!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zonzee

Zonzee is on a distinguished road

my mac just shut down as I tried to move a battery adapter!
something like this already happened few times before, and i took it to the apple center. the guy just restarted it completely (but saved my files), and it wasn't happening for some time. i also have a problem with a battery adapter, way too often the light is off and won't charge my computer. i tried cleaning it, changing the plug, but it just works randomly. when it shuts down and i turn it on again, it says date&time has been changed to 1.1.2008., every time. it can't connect to the internet unless i type a wap password.
i really don't know much about computers, but i tried finding the solution on the internet, and all i could understand and recognize (english is not my mother tongue) is that this has to do something with "inside" battery. is this correct?
what could cause this? overheating or something else? i care about my laptop, except i use it sometimes while i'm in bed, and i read it's bad for it's cooling :S
i have it for less than a year, and... um... stupid me lost warranty paper.

great thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Are you just moving the adapter or actually unplugging it?

What does your battery health indicator say? If you click on the battery icon in the upper right of your menu bar, it should give you an option to view the health percentage. If your battery is not charging, it's either an issue with your adapter or with your battery. You could try taking it to the Apple Store (or anyplace that has an AUTHORIZED Apple repair center) and have them try another adapter or another battery.

If you're regularly using the Macbook in bed, I can see how that might have some effect on the battery. Maybe you've simply worn it down.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonzee View Post
i have it for less than a year, and... um... stupid me lost warranty paper.
Even if you've lost your paperwork, Apple should have it on their system via the serial number when it was purchased.
Just put your serial number in the following link.
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do
QUOTE Thanks
Zonzee

hey,
well, first i try to "fit" it, make some connection, and if that doesn't work, i try "unplug/plug back" method, and it actually works most of the times. maybe the magnet is worn, i dunno :S and i think you're right, it's probably worn down.
i'm taking my macbook to the apple center (it's authorized, one of two centers in my city) tomorrow, they have to do something this time...
thank you for the answer!
QUOTE Thanks
Zonzee

oh thank you, my dad was freaking out because of that! thank you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Air input from Xbox 360 via DoctorBott Digital video link? | RAM Upgrade question 800 vs 667 »