New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Hinge Tightening

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stumpleg

stumpleg is on a distinguished road

Do I need to go through all these steps if I only want to tighten the hinge on my Macbook?

Installing MacBook Core 2 Duo Hinges - iFixit
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Yes, if you want to do the job right. Hinge replacement or tightening is fairly involved as you're finding out. The folks at ifixit have the best instructions for step by step repairs.
QUOTE Thanks
stumpleg

Will the Macbook Pro version work for a regular Macbook? There isn't really a step-by-step for just a macbook that I can find. I have found a youtube video for the pro, which is why I'm asking. I have a Macbook Core 2 Duo. Purchased Jan 2008.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

The link you provided is the iFixit Macbook tutorial!
QUOTE Thanks
stumpleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
The link you provided is the iFixit Macbook tutorial!

For installing hinges, not necessarily tightening them. Some things require more work, which I didn't know if it was in this case.

No need for the exclamation point, I am not as computer savy as some people, and just want to be sure I have the right information before tearing into something and messing it up. We are talking about an $1100 item here, and I can't drop that much on a replacement if something does happen.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
For installing hinges, not necessarily tightening them. Some things require more work, which I didn't know if it was in this case.
As I hinted to you in my first post, hinge tightening is a difficult repair job and usually involves replacing the hinges. As you go through the ifixit step by step, you'll see that there really isn't a way to make them tight.

If your machine was under warranty, that is exactly what the Apple techs would do; replace them.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I didn't mean any offence with the exclamation mark.
Was just responding to your question when you asked if you could use a Macbook Pro tutorial.

Here is another option other than Apple if it is out of warranty, and Apple quotes a ridiculous price for the service.
13" MacBook 24 Hour Hinge Repair.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Crashing during game? | HELP- Macbook charger »