New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro 15"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brodkin1216

brodkin1216 is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook Pro, serial #W8828CP0YJX. It's a couple years old, and I got it from a friend.

Whenever my computer dies, it will shut off and not turn back on immediately, even when I plug it into the power cord. It kinda turns back on whenever it wants too, and will just randomly boot back up. I'll push the power button, and there will be no response at all, then about 10 minutes later it will pop up and turn back on. So basically, if the computer dies, I have to plug it into the charger, let it sit for like ten minutes, then it comes back on!

This is very frustrating, because it always seems to happen at the most inconvenient times! Does anyone have any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you leave it plugged into an AC outlet using the MagSafe charger unit, does it turn on normally or still take 10 minutes?

From the symptom you described, it could be a failing battery, or the MagSafe adapter charger.
QUOTE Thanks
brodkin1216

Even if it's plugged into my MagSafe charger, it still won't turn back on for at least ten minutes. The light on the charger turns red so I know it is connected and receiving power/is charging, but its almost like it has to charge up to even boot up. Obviously, it should start as soon as I have it plugged into the wall, correct?

Also, even if I have the battery off and start it up from just the charger, it does the same thing. So would that rule out it being the battery?
QUOTE Thanks
brodkin1216

I did just look at my System Info-Power, and it says I have a cycle count of 186, and under condition, I need to "check battery." Haha I guess that could be the problem then?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It does appear the battery may be failing but first try this: Remove the battery entirely from the machine. Close up the cover first and then plug the machine in using the MagSafe charger adapter. Does it now startup immediately or is it still taking 10 minutes?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New (& first) MBP and i want to insure it. | Macbook Air random shutdown »