New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Full Battery shows 0% after Leopard upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frostrugo

frostrugo is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, maybe its a common problem but i couldnt find anything exactly like my problem.

i have a macbookpro 2,2 15"
since i upgraded from tiger to leopard, the computer shuts off or goes to sleep all of a sudden, usually when the battery reaches around 70%, sometimes on ~95%. when i plug the power cord and turn it on/wakes it up, it shows 0% battery, both on the osx and on the battery leds on it. after i put it to sleep and wakes it up again (when power cord connected), it jumps back exactly to where it was (both on os and the battery leds)!

this is really irritating because i can work on 100% battery and it shuts off after 2 min or after 1 hour i always need to work with the power supply... the thing is i never had a battery problem and it started to happen since the upgrade, the strange thing i dont get is why the half full/full battery shows its empty on the leds (after taken out of the computer too!)

is there some kind of flash or software in the battery itself that can send fake values to the osx and causing it to shut off/sleep even when its completely full?!?!

anyone heard about it before or have a solution?! im almost positively sure the battery is OK. its like that since the first run in Leopard.

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

whitehorse84 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro

if you search this through google you'll see a HUGE discussion about this on the apple.com support forums.

It's something to do with leopard/snow leopard.

I had a 2.33ghz running tiger and when i upgraded to leopard my battery health suffered drastically!

I went from having a battery with 170 charge cycles giving me about 2 hours sometimes 2.5 hours of life down to 45 minutes or an hour of life.

Something to do with leopard or apple's plan on making you purchase a new batttery!
QUOTE Thanks
frostrugo

frostrugo is on a distinguished road

so the battery is ok but if i buy a new one this will not happen???

thats like saying that apple needs to buy me a new battery.

so what ur saying is that it cannot be fixed.....?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Not sure i can answer ^^ question directly, but if you are near a  Store, ring them up, make a appointment and go in and see them. Im in belief that batteries are a hard one to get out of  but over the last 4-5 months i have seen more and more OUT there claims from people hoping to get something out of  out of warranty and they have been replaced ...
From the Apple site

Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your replacement coverage for a defective battery to three years from the date of your notebook purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan. However, the AppleCare Protection Plan for notebook computers does not cover batteries that have failed or are exhibiting diminished capacity except when the failure or diminished capacity is the result of a manufacturing defect. Apple offers a battery replacement service for MacBook Air and all MacBook Pro notebooks with built-in batteries. You can purchase replacement batteries for late models of Apple notebooks directly from the Apple Store.

All im trying to say in round-a-bout words is it doesnt hurt in asking them is all ....

But back to battery ...
Have you done any Maintenance on it at all ??
Try Calibrating it. Apple Support ~ Battery Calibration

Is all i can offer atm

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do you get rid of permanent Marker on Macbook Pro | Really urgent help needed!!!!!!!! »