New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Need Help Choosing a Superdrive.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LastVampyer

LastVampyer is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I have a Macbook Pro 2.2ghz but the superdrive is broken and needs replacing.

The details of the old one are:
Model: GSA-S10N
Part Number: 678-0558A
Manufactured: September 2007

I found a few on eBay but I'm not sure if they're compatible (or if I can link them in this forum)

Anyone know if I can post links in this forum?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Yes, you can post links. However, I suggest you buy your superdrive from an authorized Apple reseller, one that warrants what they sell. Other World Computing sells optical drives for most Mac models. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
LastVampyer

Well, I found these:

This one I'm not sure about:
MacBook Pro SuperDrive GSA-S10N DVD RW Burner IDE Drive on eBay (end time 18-Dec-10 18:44:48 GMT)

This one I'm pretty sure will work, but it's double the price:
Apple MacBook 13 15 17 DVD Drive GSA-S10N NEW UJ-857-C on eBay (end time 15-Dec-10 10:53:02 GMT)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I wouldn't buy the first one you linked to anyway since it's used. A used superdrive can be well worn or in fairly new condition. In my opinion, you would be taking a chance - besides not being sure it will work.

The second drive is new and will probably work. Replacement drives are not inexpensive as you're finding out. Have you thought about just using an external drive instead?
QUOTE Thanks
LastVampyer

The thing is, I have a kernal panic and need to do a complete format of my hard drive and I tried doing that with an external cd drive but it wouldn't work so I think I need to install this internal drive.

I tried going into the bio...EFI by holding down command, option, f, 0 and power button but that doesn't work either.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Why do you need to format the hard drive and do a clean install? Kernel panic attacks are usually hardware related. Usual culprits are memory failing or wrong type, failing hard drive etc. Boot from the discs that came with your computer, Option D and run Apple Hardware Test in extended mode first up and keep us posted?

You do not go into the BIOs on a Mac - here is a list of key commands:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
LastVampyer

It's not hardware related. All of the stuff is original. I know you cant go into the "bios" anymore (circa 2007 I think) but I tried the old key combination just in case.

I don't have the boot CDs and even if I did, the optical drive doesn't work anyway.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weird slow Macbook problem | Need some advice »