New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Battery tips

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra is on a distinguished road

I'm new to laptops, so I got a bunch of questions in regard to maintaining a healthy battery, beyond tips like 'turn on setting X will save 20 mins of charge'. Moreso i'm interested in battery maintenence and maximizing lifespan.

Some Q's:
- Is it good to run the battery flat?
- Is it healthy to charge the battery back up if i'm only partially flat?
- If my Macbook is mains powered 99% of the time, will this affect the battery long term?
- Do laptop batteries suffer from memory effect also?

Any tips or advice in regards to batteries? I'm all ears
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

Check it out here. Apple - Batteries
QUOTE Thanks
Narcissus

Narcissus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Unibody, C2D 2.0GHz, 4GB, 500GB

One thing I can tel you that does seem to help, is removing the battery from the computer when your not planning on using the battery or the computer is in storage.

I try to refrain from running my battery flat, excessive wear occurs when it charges from a dead state in that more heat is produced because of how long it takes to charge up. Plus, the amperage is higher when charging the battery in a lower state.

Partial charges do seem to be better for lithium ion batteries. I run my Macbook on the mains maybe 75% of the time, so when I am on the mains I remove my battery.

A lot of people say that Lithium batteries do not suffer from the memory effect, and I must say I have never had a battery recalibration work out as intended. The only thing I don't like, is newer batteries seem to keep track of your charging cycles and the age of them. I don't like to call it a conspiracy or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if the battery could be told to die at a certain age.

Hope something helps!

MacBook 13" Unibody, iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Don't remove the battery from Mac's. This causes the processor to run under it's true speed.

All you need to know is on that link Lbatson21 posted.
QUOTE Thanks
crusezx

crusezx is on a distinguished road

dim the screen/brightness to save on battery power
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Bassist View Post
Don't remove the battery from Mac's. This causes the processor to run under it's true speed.

All you need to know is on that link Lbatson21 posted.
Ditto - removing the battery is not recommended nor is it a good idea.
Mac notebooks automatically throttle back the CPU when the battery is removed.
After reading Apple's recommendations and understanding how to calibrate, with today's batteries, just use the computer the way "you" want to use it, being mindful of those recommendations.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless problem | How to make your HD fresh again? »