Trouble booting up - Takes 10 minutes to load desktop
    When my dad turns on his MacBook Pro, it takes him to the desktop like it normally would, then usually it instantly shows the toolbar at the bottom, followed by the icons.
    Well, his has started to take roughly 8-15 minutes to show the toolbar, then the icons pop up. He hasn't done ANYTHING to the computer, hasn't downloaded anything, etc.
    What could cause this? It seems like a hard drive problem to me, but I don't know.

Specs:
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragebarr View Post
    When my dad turns on his MacBook Pro, it takes him to the desktop like it normally would, then usually it instantly shows the toolbar at the bottom, followed by the icons.
    Well, his has started to take roughly 8-15 minutes to show the toolbar, then the icons pop up. He hasn't done ANYTHING to the computer, hasn't downloaded anything, etc.
    What could cause this? It seems like a hard drive problem to me, but I don't know.
    I agree. It does sound like the Hard Drive is starting to go, back up as much important data as you can immediately. But, once the computer has booted up, does it still run very slowly?

No, once the computer actually loads the Icons and Toolbar, it runs completely perfectly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it after it loads, not slow, no weird programs running, nothing. It just sits on the background desktop for 10 minutes then loads, and it's fine.

Thread Information