New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

15" MBP problems for past 6 months. Please help.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kyler

Kyler is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone, I bought my 15" 2.44 ghz i5 MBP about 6 months ago and noticed it was running quite slow. I have never been very computer savvy and had nothing to compare it to until just recently my friend bought the 13" C2D 2.66 ghz MBP. Mine is running much slower and scoring 51 on Xbench while his is scoring 170. My fan is constantly on and it struggles to load up videos and programs. It's just slow in general. I had it wiped because Kernel task was taking up 270% of my CPU usage and it's still slow. So I took it to Best Buy and they are telling me that it's running fine and the fan is supposed to be always on. Any advice on what I should tell them? Are the 2.44 i5 just slower than the 2.66 core 2 duos? It starts up and stays at good speed for about 15 seconds after sleep then gets slower, any advice on this? Your help is very much appreciate.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

How about you take it to an Apple store? I'm sure they might be able to give you more help than BestBuy!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Kyler

I went to the Apple store and they restored it to it's original state. This didn't do much. They thought the problem was Kernel_task and got rid of it, but it still runs slowly. Also I bought it from Best Buy and have my warranty with them, but I'll try the Apple store again if Best Buy fails.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Regardless of where you bought it, your original computer warranty lies with Apple. I would highly advise you do something at the Apple store before messing with bestbuy, unless they just give you a new computer...but it's bestbuy...so that chance is slim to none. Did they rule out a bad hard drive? Did they check the ram? Can't really see what else it could be since they reinstalled the OS.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Kyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Regardless of where you bought it, your original computer warranty lies with Apple. I would highly advise you do something at the Apple store before messing with bestbuy, unless they just give you a new computer...but it's bestbuy...so that chance is slim to none. Did they rule out a bad hard drive? Did they check the ram? Can't really see what else it could be since they reinstalled the OS.
They told me they ran Onyx and did some tests and it runs fine (Which it does not at all) And that my fan is supposed to be running all the time. It's there with them right now so when they give it back to me I'll go to the Apple Store. Is the 2.66 core 2 duo supposed to be faster than the 2.44 i5 and are the fans supposed to be on all the time? I'm not really great with computers and want some other people's input.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

The i5 is faster, and the x bench test can be inaccurate.
Yes, the fans are on all the time.

xbench results today:
Test 1 Score 51
Test 2 Score 159.59
Test 3 Score 160.64

These results are with a stock 2.4 GHz i5 MBP with 4GB RAM and 320GB 5400 RPM HD with 280GB unused space.
QUOTE Thanks
Kyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
The i5 is faster, and the x bench test can be inaccurate.
Yes, the fans are on all the time.

xbench results today:
Test 1 Score 51
Test 2 Score 159.59
Test 3 Score 160.64

These results are with a stock 2.4 GHz i5 MBP with 4GB RAM and 320GB 5400 RPM HD with 280GB unused space.
My 2.4 ghz i5 MBP is noticeably slower than his 2.66 C2D constantly and his fans are never running. Is that the difference between the 15" and the 13"?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Fans are always running.... maybe you can't hear them in his, but they are still running at somewhere around 1800-2000 rpm (min speed).

If you are noticing major slow operation, and if your HD isn't near full, you could always try booting from your install disc holding C, going to utilities>disk utility in the menu bar after you select the language, and verify and repair your HD.

You could also boot from the install disk holding D and run an extended Apple Hardware Test.

If all is ok, and you are still not happy, I would make that appointment with Apple Genius Bar.
QUOTE Thanks
Kyler

I made an appointment with the genius bar and the just restored it to it's original settings and wiped everything. I'll try again though, thank you for your help
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Hold up? I thought you said you didn't have it? How did you restore it when you said, "It's there with them right now so when they give it back to me I'll go to the Apple Store?"

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mba - High fan speed safe for long durations? | Hey guys >> (HD Question) »