New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

weird battery problem.. Unibody

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hann

Hann is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Core Duo 2GHz Black Macbook

this is strange.. and i'm getting bumbed out cos just last wk I sent my 3 wk old refurb MBP for a logic board change.

I just calibrated my battery yesterday cos it looked abit fishy..

i'm getting 6871 mAh on my MBP out of 6900 mAh as per coconut battery.

When I plugged out my power adapter, i was getting 1hrs+ which is not even close the 7-8 hrs advertised.

and it's showing 90+% charge but it shows barely 2 hrs..

so is 6871 mAh inaccurate or 2+ Hrs inaccurate?

*Forgot to add that this was just after switching on my MBP after calibrating and I don't do any heavy graphics use at all.. mail, adium, abit of garageband.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Don't get upset. When the logic board was changed out, everything the SMC ever knew about your battery was lost.

When you calibrated the battery, how long was the run-time (and I'm not referring to what the gauge said, but how long it actually took to run the battery down from full)?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Hann

you know i've no idea? i went to bed and wanted it ot get down to 0 asap so that it could have it's 5 hrs of sleep before I woke up so i played 2 videos and looped it and went to bed.. hahaha

doesn't everyone do that!

I'm giving another shot at calibrating. I'm now at "charging to full" and leaving it for 2 hrs stage
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hann View Post
you know i've no idea? i went to bed and wanted it ot get down to 0 asap so that it could have it's 5 hrs of sleep before I woke up so i played 2 videos and looped it and went to bed.. hahaha

doesn't everyone do that!

I'm giving another shot at calibrating. I'm now at "charging to full" and leaving it for 2 hrs stage
When you calibrate the battery, you're basically showing the SMC how you use the computer and what kind of average drain you put on it - then it compares this with how the battery reacts to that load. So, if you put an unrealistic load on it, you get unrealistic estimates from the SMC.

You want to charge the machine fully and then use it as you normally would, completely off the power adapter until it goes dead. It doesn't have to be in a single sitting, you can put your machine to sleep and come back to it over time. The trick is to use it normally, not to find innovative ways to drain the battery

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Hann

wow!

that's a first!!

ok! i shall do that.. i just so happened to reset the SMC just now... let's see how it goes.. i'll post back!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hann View Post
wow!

that's a first!!

ok! i shall do that.. i just so happened to reset the SMC just now... let's see how it goes.. i'll post back!
Be careful about resetting the SMC, it can be counterproductive, because you want the SMC to learn as much as it can.

QUOTE Thanks
Hann

yeah it's the first time and I won't do it anymore..

thought it'd work out since i wasn't calibrating the right way.. so hopefully it's learning the right way now!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook fully charged, power indicator is orange | service messenger »