New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro Speaker Recommendation

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

T_O_P12

T_O_P12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S

My brother has been wanting a nice set of speakers for his Macbook Pro and I was planning on getting him some for his birthday or christmas this year. Any recommendations, he will primarily be using them in his dorm room to watch movies and play music. Sorta want the most bang for my buck, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
floraneg

floraneg is on a distinguished road

I picked these up about a months ago. They are the best speakers I've ever used.

Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Speakers - Apple Store (U.S.)
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_O_P12 View Post
My brother has been wanting a nice set of speakers for his Macbook Pro and I was planning on getting him some for his birthday or christmas this year. Any recommendations, he will primarily be using them in his dorm room to watch movies and play music. Sorta want the most bang for my buck, thanks!
You should get him a nice set of cans instead of speakers so in case he listens to music some people around him don't like, he can be in his own world.

If you decide to go that route, here's a decent thread already started: Ideal college headphone - Head-Fi.org Community

Also check out the reviews on there.
And if you go with a set of cans, you might want to get a decent amp for them, cuz the onboard sound on laptops isn't that good.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

MM-1? Those are simply overpriced for their name. $500? No, definitely not the best for that price range. They are a HUGE rip off...I'm utterly shocked how they can get so many reviews on it! Apparently, people don't know better... It's good because of what it can pack in a small package, not because its sound is in the 500 dollar range(which is actually overpriced and can be had for 350-400 new). Note: Since it has its own DAC, plugging it in via regular headphone jack will make the sound sound like any other speaker. If you you it, use it with DAC, or you just wasted a lot of money to get clear sound that you will never hear.

1.For that price range, the Logitech Z-5500 destroys it, while still being cheaper, having superb surround sound, and a very nice controller!
2.If you don't care about surround sound, get the "Klipsch Promedia 2.1." Have had one for so many years now...it's great and great bass that actually doesn't annoy you.
3. If you are on a budget, the "Logitech X540" is a nice set.

I have only experienced 3 setups that sounded better(better worded: overall better sounding package) out of the box than the Z-5500, and those were from Bang and Olufesn, HK, and Focal, but non of them were under $800.

I must say, the Klipsch that we have downstairs(the one I noted) packs a great punch with music, and comes with a very well made subwoofer.

You can't go wrong with any of them though...

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
cajundaddy

cajundaddy is on a distinguished road

I use the M-Audio AV40 for desktop recording and music playback. They are powered with plenty of volume for a small room and sound very natural. I found them for $120 on Amazon. A lotta bang for the buck. The only caveat is that they seem to be very influenced by speaker placement. Be prepared to move them around a bit to find the most natural sound. Give em a look.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! No HDD In Disk Utility | macbook pro 13 inch network and charging issue »