Thread: clamshell iBook

clamshell iBook

clamshell iBook
    I happened upon an old clamshell iBook - graphite colored, or whatever the color was called back in 2000.
    myFamilyNo.: M2453

It lacks an airport card - I'm wondering if anybody here knows how I might go about connecting it to wi-fi.
    It also seems to need a logic board... I called Apple, and they couldn't even find a part number - the man I spoke to thinks they don't make the parts for it anymore. I need this, and a battery... but clearly the logic board is more important.
    I'm wondering if anybody here might know a) where I can get the parts and/or b) the cost, particularly of a logic board, for this beast?
    and by beast i mean all 64 megs of ram. hah.

clamshell iBook
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    Your best bet for this kind of thing is eBay, unfortunately I doubt even long-running repair shops will carry any stock for this model. Also Apple no longer supports the product. Not too sure of the cost but search around i'm sure you'll be able to fix it up for around the 150 - 200 mark

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

clamshell iBook
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by agurlnamedgoo View Post

It lacks an airport card - I'm wondering if anybody here knows how I might go about connecting it to wi-fi.
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. Either you purchase an Airport card, install it, and then network wirelessly. Or connect the laptop via ethernet cable to network.

It also seems to need a logic board... I called Apple, and they couldn't even find a part number - the man I spoke to thinks they don't make the parts for it anymore. I need this, and a battery... but clearly the logic board is more important.
    I'm wondering if anybody here might know a) where I can get the parts and/or b) the cost, particularly of a logic board, for this beast?
    and by beast i mean all 64 megs of ram. hah.
    Not really worth it! Clamshell iBooks can sometimes be purchased on Craig's List or e-Bay for $50-$75 dollars (I actually bought one for $20 this past Summer). So paying for a logic board would clearly cost more than a fully operational working unit would cost.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

clamshell iBook

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. Either you purchase an Airport card, install it, and then network wirelessly. Or connect the laptop via ethernet cable to network.

- Nick
    I guess I meant anything that would work using the USB port, so that I don't have to open the whole laptop up.

clamshell iBook
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    I guess I meant anything that would work using the USB port, so that I don't have to open the whole laptop up.
    Generally speaking...the USB wireless networking devices don't seem to work very well on Mac's. You can still try one...and see what success you have. But for the same money...you can get a used Airport card...which are not that hard to install.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

clamshell iBook

Try ifixit.com. I have an old clamshell that I put an Airport card in years ago. I also replaced the hard drive and fixed a couple things. It's a bit of an endeavor to open it up, but ifixit has great step-by-step instructions.

Thread Information