Fan Problems on 13" MacbookPro (Mid 2009)
    I recently spilled some juice on a table where my Macbook was sitting. I did everything in my power to limit the damage done to the computer, and for the most part the notebook still works fine.

However, there are a few problems that have arisen: the keyboard backlight no longer functions, the computer seems to be running a bit sluggish, and the internal cooling fan is CONSTANTLY running whenever the computer is on (but not when it's sleeping).

Of these problems, my main concern is the fan. I took the computer into the Apple Store (under my applecare warranty), but unfortunately they pleaded water damage and were gonna charge me a flat rate of $700 to repair any issues with the computer. The damage to the machine isn't worth that much to me, so I refused repair and voided my apple care warranty (so I could get the remainder of my money back).

I've done some research on the issue with the fan and have already tried a power manager reset with no luck.

Is there anything else I can do to try to address the issue? What about independent computer repair shops that would cost me less than $700. I'm also open to tinkering with it myself if that would be advisable.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    G'day and welcome to the forums.

If you use the Search tool you will find a special thread to do with spilling liquids on your laptop. Sadly juice with all that sugar is maybe the most corrosive liquid. It will get worse with time also.Your Macbook has little indicators built in that tell technicians when fluids have been spilt, voiding your warranty.

Best thing is to sell it for parts on eBay or similar. No sense taking it to a PC shop, as where do you think they will access faulty logix board etc?

Thread Information