New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

My HD is corrupt?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

minusthesean

minusthesean is on a distinguished road

Well, I don't have my OS Disc, and my computer has been running exceptionally slow lately (with much emphasis on my internet connectivity and Chrome as a whole).
As portrayed in the screenshot, I need to use disc utility and repair my HD, but unfortunately for myself, I do not own an external harddrive in which to Time machine with.

What should my next course of action be?

-Thanks,
Sean

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

You can run FSCK, which should fix the HD if it can be repaired. You don't need a disc for that and it basically does the same as disk utility.
Google around on how to, to save me typing it out for the umpteenth time.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
minusthesean

If you could direct me to one of your other umpteenth walkthroughs I would appreciate that.

Also, is FSCK going to erase any of my HD? I don't have anything backed up.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by minusthesean View Post
If you could direct me to one of your other umpteenth walkthroughs I would appreciate that.

Also, is FSCK going to erase any of my HD? I don't have anything backed up.
Using the search at the top of the forum or Google will find it for you.

Second, you may want to call Apple for a replacement OS disk if you've lost yours, you still might need it.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Or use my search engine Type fsck Kevriano and you get this:

fsck kevriano - Google Search

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
minusthesean

Well I tried the fsck, which I believe I performed correctly.
I rebooted my computer and held cmd+s and it ran is safe mode? Then I typed "fsck -fy" and it ran a whole bunch of tests and at the very end said my HD was repaired successfully.
So, upon it rebooting normally I ran OnyX. Surprisingly, it still said that my HD needed to be repaired.

Next step?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I would call Apple and have them send you out replacement discs.
You will have to give them the serial number of your Mac, and the discs should set you back in the neighbourhood of $17-$20.

Once you have the discs, I would boot from the install disc holding C as soon as you hear the chime until you see the spinning gear.
Select language, click continue, then go to utilities in the menu bar.
Go to Disk Utility, first aid, and select repair disk from there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« power cord for 2006 15" macbook pro | Which is better MBA? 2009 2.13 128SSD or new 2010? »