New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Two Hardware Upgrades - Opinions??


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
jonny-5

 
jonny-5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2010
Location: Lisbon, Maine
Posts: 7
jonny-5 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' MBP - 2.53GHz C2D - 4Gb ddr3- 250Gb HD - OSX.6/ XP Pro (via boot camp)

jonny-5 is offline
Hola,

I have a 13in Early 09 unibody Macbook Pro. I'm looking upgrade my hardrive and memory. (I currently have a 4gb of RAM and a 250gb HD)

I've been searching ebay and other 3rd party sites and have found a couple of different options. I'm looking to get feedback on the following:

1.0TB WD Scorpio Blue 5200RPM Serial ATA **12... (WD10TPVT) at OWC

8GB DDR3 Memory for MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.53GHz - eBay (item 170548385022 end time Dec-02-10 10:20:32 PST)

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

 
CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 24, 2008
Posts: 6,006
CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

CrimsonRequiem is offline
That's a really really slow HDD. 5400 RPM is pretty slow and that one is even slower. If you don't mind using the slower HDD then I guess it's fine.

I kind of don't really see the need for such a large HDD in a notebook. If anything get an external HDD so you can back up your currently HDD.

I would buy the RAM from OWC as well. Same price as the one you listed on eBay.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

 
s2odin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 23, 2010
Posts: 836
s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

s2odin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-5 View Post
Hola,

I have a 13in Early 09 unibody Macbook Pro. I'm looking upgrade my hardrive and memory. (I currently have a 4gb of RAM and a 250gb HD)

I've been searching ebay and other 3rd party sites and have found a couple of different options. I'm looking to get feedback on the following:

1.0TB WD Scorpio Blue 5200RPM Serial ATA **12... (WD10TPVT) at OWC

8GB DDR3 Memory for MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.53GHz - eBay (item 170548385022 end time Dec-02-10 10:20:32 PST)

Thanks!
The HD won't work. It is a 1TB model which requires a 3rd platter inside, making it 12.5mm high. The max MBP's will take is a 9.5mm drive.

As far as HD's are concerned, check out the following:
Seagate Momentus
Seagate Momentus XT
Samsung SpinPoint
WD Scorpio Blue


And I wouldn't trust that ram. Just seems sketchy imo.
If you want good RAM check out: Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Memory for Apple Model 976644A
or whatever OWC has. I know Mushkin has some of the best support in the business, and backs everything with lifetime warranties. I personally use Mushkin (when I have the money)

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
quin

 
quin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 19, 2009
Posts: 432
quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

quin is offline
Wow! RAMs are so cheap now. I remember shop for 4-8 GB a few months ago, the 8GB pair was 2-3 hundred dollars. Makes me want to upgrade to 8GB before it goes up in price again.
QUOTE Thanks
jonny-5

 
jonny-5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2010
Location: Lisbon, Maine
Posts: 7
jonny-5 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' MBP - 2.53GHz C2D - 4Gb ddr3- 250Gb HD - OSX.6/ XP Pro (via boot camp)

jonny-5 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
That's a really really slow HDD. 5400 RPM is pretty slow and that one is even slower. If you don't mind using the slower HDD then I guess it's fine.

I kind of don't really see the need for such a large HDD in a notebook. If anything get an external HDD so you can back up your currently HDD.

I would buy the RAM from OWC as well. Same price as the one you listed on eBay.
Is 7200 really that much faster than 5400??

Check this out:

NEW 500GB 7200 Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz Hard Drive - eBay (item 330443588280 end time Dec-12-10 19:10:34 PST)

I have a 1tb external already so I could certainly sacrifice space for speed. I wish I could go to a solid state drive, but I heard I'd have to replace my whole logic board.... plus it's soooo expensive!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,500
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-5 View Post
I wish I could go to a solid state drive, but I heard I'd have to replace my whole logic board....
This is TOTALLY false!!! At least as far as your Macbook application.

Where the "heck" did you hear this?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jonny-5

 
jonny-5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2010
Location: Lisbon, Maine
Posts: 7
jonny-5 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' MBP - 2.53GHz C2D - 4Gb ddr3- 250Gb HD - OSX.6/ XP Pro (via boot camp)

jonny-5 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
This is TOTALLY false!!! At least as far as your Macbook application.

Where the "heck" did you hear this?

- Nick
Apple Support. LOL!
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

 
s2odin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 23, 2010
Posts: 836
s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

s2odin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-5 View Post
Is 7200 really that much faster than 5400??

Check this out:

NEW 500GB 7200 Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz Hard Drive - eBay (item 330443588280 end time Dec-12-10 19:10:34 PST)

I have a 1tb external already so I could certainly sacrifice space for speed. I wish I could go to a solid state drive, but I heard I'd have to replace my whole logic board.... plus it's soooo expensive!
Don't buy electronics off eBay. Use Newegg or a real electronic reseller.
Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

That's what I use. $70 right now.

And as far as SSD's go, they are still fairly expensive. Your choice, but you won't need one with a Sandforce controller since OS X doesn't support TRIM.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

 
CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 24, 2008
Posts: 6,006
CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

CrimsonRequiem is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
Don't buy electronics off eBay. Use Newegg or a real electronic reseller.
Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

That's what I use. $70 right now.

And as far as SSD's go, they are still fairly expensive. Your choice, but you won't need one with a Sandforce controller since OS X doesn't support TRIM.
Check out OWC they have some pretty competitive pricing on their SSDs. You don't really need a lot of storage if you choose to go SSD. Just enough to install your applications, and a little bit of storage.

You should have an external HDD to store the rest of your stuff on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-5 View Post
Is 7200 really that much faster than 5400??

Check this out:

NEW 500GB 7200 Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz Hard Drive - eBay (item 330443588280 end time Dec-12-10 19:10:34 PST)

I have a 1tb external already so I could certainly sacrifice space for speed. I wish I could go to a solid state drive, but I heard I'd have to replace my whole logic board.... plus it's soooo expensive!
7200 RPM is a lot faster.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
jonny-5

 
jonny-5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2010
Location: Lisbon, Maine
Posts: 7
jonny-5 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' MBP - 2.53GHz C2D - 4Gb ddr3- 250Gb HD - OSX.6/ XP Pro (via boot camp)

jonny-5 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
Don't buy electronics off eBay. Use Newegg or a real electronic reseller.
Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

That's what I use. $70 right now.

And as far as SSD's go, they are still fairly expensive. Your choice, but you won't need one with a Sandforce controller since OS X doesn't support TRIM.
I'm going with the Seagate for $70!!! Now will I need to buy a new copy of OSX or will the disks that came with my MBP work?
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

 
s2odin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 23, 2010
Posts: 836
s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

s2odin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-5 View Post
I'm going with the Seagate for $70!!! Now will I need to buy a new copy of OSX or will the disks that came with my MBP work?
Well you have a few options:
- Use Time Machine to backup your current computer on an external, then do a fresh install (with your install disks) then backup from Time Machine
- Start clean with a fresh install with your install disks
- Use CCC or SuperDuper! to make a bootable copy of your current hard drive onto your external (see my sig)

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
jonny-5

 
jonny-5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2010
Location: Lisbon, Maine
Posts: 7
jonny-5 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' MBP - 2.53GHz C2D - 4Gb ddr3- 250Gb HD - OSX.6/ XP Pro (via boot camp)

jonny-5 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
Well you have a few options:
- Use Time Machine to backup your current computer on an external, then do a fresh install (with your install disks) then backup from Time Machine
- Start clean with a fresh install with your install disks
- Use CCC or SuperDuper! to make a bootable copy of your current hard drive onto your external (see my sig)
Excellent! I was reading some reviews on the 500 GB Seagate and noticed a lot of negativite feedback concerning the noise and vibration that it adds.

I have a 13' MBP.... did you notice that big of a difference when you installed yours?
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

 
s2odin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 23, 2010
Posts: 836
s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

s2odin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-5 View Post
Excellent! I was reading some reviews on the 500 GB Seagate and noticed a lot of negativite feedback concerning the noise and vibration that it adds.

I have a 13' MBP.... did you notice that big of a difference when you installed yours?
No difference whatsoever.
I even put it in a friends MBP for a while and didn't notice anything in his either. Anything can fail, and when it does, consumers make a big deal out of it. If it is noisy / whatever, just RMA. They come with 5 year warranties. Consumers expect everything to work right out of the box. They don't understand that sometimes, they don't. That's why there are warranties. (Not trying to be mean towards you, just saying that when people don't get exactly what they want, everyone has to find out).

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Aperture Vault to transfer library iMac to MBP? | Faint "Ding" Sound coming from brand new Macbook Pro »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
hardware security modules for crypto charlesnorris Other Hardware and Peripherals 1 03-21-2012 12:41 AM
hardware vs cost ytbryan Schweb's Lounge 1 05-19-2010 12:39 AM
Flash "Gala" beta for OS X 10.6.3 using h264 hardware acceleration DarkestRitual Schweb's Lounge 5 04-30-2010 03:37 PM
Done Deal - Apple converts to x86 Intel falltime Apple Rumors and Reports 180 06-07-2005 07:20 PM
Apple to benefit from improved hardware spending Murlyn Apple Rumors and Reports 0 09-24-2003 03:33 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?