New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Best Hard drive to upgrade too?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jmorrisuk

jmorrisuk is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone i currently own a macbook pro with the following spec

Bought Jan 09 (uk)
15" Macbook Pro
2.53GHz intel core 2
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Ram
250GB HDD

I was just woundering what the best hard drive is to upgrade to, i have almost filled up the current one and was looking at getting a 500GB one from pc world, they currently have a WD or a Hitachi one which i believe mac use already.

I was just wondering if there are any makes i should avoid as i have not done this before and dont want to screw it up to be honest, any help would be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

I just bought myself a Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 7200RPM for £48 from Overclockers UK. Great service - I bought the same spec but in a Hitachi brand a few years ago for a similar price.

You'll also need a T6 Torx screwdriver to take out the special screws holding the HDD in.
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

I use a Seagate Momentus and it has been great.
Many people use the Seagate Momentus XT (4gb of flash memory) but report lots of problems.

WD is a great brand, and you can't go wrong with them.

Another popular brand is the Samsung Spinpoint hard drives.

Just get a nice 7200 rpm drive from any trusted manufacturer. Fit it to your budget, and you're good to go.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

2 thumbs up from me on the seagate momentus XT. I liked the first one so much that I bought a second one since newegg had them for only 100 bucks shipped. It's a great drive!

The WD scorpio are good drives.

If you are looking for maximum battery life out of a 500 gb drive, look for a 5400rpm drive. If you want average results, look at the 7200rpm drives. If you want the fastest, get the Momentus XT with 4gb of solid state memory built in.

The Samsung spinpoints rank amongst the top of almost all reviews in both 2.5" and 3.5" formats, for quietness, and almost no vibration, but don't always give you the best performance.

Then there the real upgrade! Get a regular scorpio 7200rpm(in my case, the XT), along with a 30-40gb solid state drive(preferably from OWC, but I have an OCZ) installed in the optical bay. Trust me, you will want to wear a seat belt while using your macbook

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

All leading brands are pretty much of a muchness - Seagate, WD, Fujitsu, Hitachi, Samsung but be aware any of them can and do fail, sometimes right out of the box when brand new so the better the warranty the more confident you should be.
QUOTE Thanks
pinchy

pinchy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
All leading brands are pretty much of a muchness - Seagate, WD, Fujitsu, Hitachi, Samsung but be aware any of them can and do fail, sometimes right out of the box when brand new so the better the warranty the more confident you should be.
Agreed. I would say just pick one up with > 1 yr warranty and you should be set.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchy View Post
Agreed. I would say just pick one up with > 1 yr warranty and you should be set.
That's just a cheap gimmick. Don't go blindly getting one just because the warranty is longer than a year. Seagate offers 3 and 5 year warranties, my XT has a 5 year warranty, but I'm willing to bet a lot of money that whatever problem I might have with it, they wont cover. HD warranties are very picky over what is considered a problem.

If reliability is your main concern, I wouldn't hesitate with a WD. They've proven themselves reliable without needing a ridiculously long warranty. Especially since HD's are not known to be associated with reliability.

And, as Harry mentioned, you can buy an HD that has the best reviews out of all, and still get one that is DOA. Nothing is guaranteed to be perfect...especially with delicate things such as hard drives.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
cjj14u

cjj14u is on a distinguished road

I bought a 256GB SSD & love it!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Defeating boot up sound? | dropped MBP but only slightly damaged »