New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New Vs Refurbished

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

that guy

that guy is on a distinguished road

I am thinking about getting a new MBP 13.3 2.4GHz... don't know whether or not to go with the refurb it was looking like a good choice but then i saw a warning thing on the refurb site it said some refurbs have dings and scratches on them... if i spend a grand on a comp i kinda want the outside to be perfect ya know? Also I can get the student discount and its only 80 more to get the new one right out of the store rather than waiting for the refurb to be shipped.... any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy View Post
I am thinking about getting a new MBP 13.3 2.4GHz... don't know whether or not to go with the refurb it was looking like a good choice but then i saw a warning thing on the refurb site it said some refurbs have dings and scratches on them... if i spend a grand on a comp i kinda want the outside to be perfect ya know? Also I can get the student discount and its only 80 more to get the new one right out of the store rather than waiting for the refurb to be shipped.... any ideas?
If you need it now, order it. The refurbs might have dings / scratches, but not all will. Your choice, as to if you can wait for a refurb to ship or not.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy View Post
... if i spend a grand on a comp i kinda want the outside to be perfect ya know? Also I can get the student discount and its only 80 more to get the new one right out of the store rather than waiting for the refurb to be shipped.... any ideas?
I think you have answered your own question. If a new one with your discount is only going to cost you $80 more and you feel that strongly about getting a new looking computer then I don't see where the debate is. I guess it depends on whether that extra $80 means you won't be eating that month. From the way you said it, it doesn't sound like it's going to be a financial burden to pay an extra $80.
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

I hate to tout the refurb line from Apple it gets old, but I've bought two refurb MBP 13. A 2009 and a 2010. Neither one of them have any scratch, dent, or mark on any exterior surface, including the monitor and keyboard. I think you will be good to go either way, new or refurb.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I've had the following refurbished Apple products:

Mac Mini
2x MacBook Airs
3x MacBook Pros
1x MacBook Unibody
1x MacBook White
1x iPod Nano
All were without blemishes and were purchased from Apple's own online store in the refurbished section. They seem to take the refurbishment process pretty seriously. Other sources, such as Apple refurbished resellers, I have no experience with.

If I could get an identical new one for $80 more, I personally would keep my $80 and put it into my savings account or maybe put it towards an Applecare Extended Warranty. That's just me though.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
pinchy

pinchy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by quin View Post
I hate to tout the refurb line from Apple it gets old, but I've bought two refurb MBP 13. A 2009 and a 2010. Neither one of them have any scratch, dent, or mark on any exterior surface, including the monitor and keyboard. I think you will be good to go either way, new or refurb.
Same. I've seen nothing short but perfection from Apple's refurb. Given the choice between saving 15% and a new one that I literally can't tell any difference from a refurb, I'd happily keep the 15% in my pocket.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

I don't think a refurb is always the right choice. In my case, the price difference between what I had and what I wanted was enough to cover my restocking fee as well as put a bit over 300 dollars back in my pocket. 80 bucks? As good as the refurbs are, unless it's an exact match of the computer you want, I'm not sure if it's that worth it. You can get some good stuff for your mac though for 80 bucks.

Have you considered buying new from a seller that charges no tax? That will make a HUGE difference. Or even from a member on here.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
pinchy

pinchy is on a distinguished road

^ True. Macconnections/Amazon is usually my choice.
QUOTE Thanks
RobSEA

RobSEA is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 GHz 1.25 GB RAM

I've made two purchases from the refurb store - a Powerbook 12" 6 years ago and an iPod nano 2 years ago. Both products arrived in perfect condition. I wouldn't have known they were not new if I hadn't bought them myself.

You do get a good discount for being a student, but from time to time you'll see 20-25% off certain refurbed computers in the store. I might hold out for one of these and either really save some $$ or get a lot more computer than you had planned for the same price.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please help with my macbook pro? | Strange white macbook battery issues »