New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Opinions needed - iPad vs. Kindle vs. 13"MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RadarP3C

RadarP3C is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.66GHz, OS 10.6.2, iPad2(64G)

I bought my wife a 13" MB about 6 months ago. She has been hinting about wanting a Kindle for ebooks for Christmas.

A Kindle is cheaper than an iPad. My thinking is to just use her MacBook for downloading ebooks. Other than the obvious increased mobility of the Kindle and iPad to the MacBook, what are your opinions of the advantages and disadvantages of the Kindle vs. iPad vs. MacBook.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
that guy

that guy is on a distinguished road

u got her a MB and she wants more????
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I will admit to being prejudiced toward the iPad (which I love), but the Kindle has four (and only four) advantages over the iPad.

1) It is cheaper -- $139 for the wifi version
2) It is lighter and smaller, thus more portable and potentially easier to handle while reading
3) The e-Ink screen has better visibility in direct sunlight (I don't read on the beach so not an advantage for me)
4) Better battery life -- about a week vs charging every day on the iPad

BTW: the MacBook is not a serious competitor as an eReader, either the Kindle or iPad blows that option out of the water.

My opinion FWIW if ALL (and I mean all) she is ever going to do with it is read, then buy the Kindle, otherwise the versatility of the iPad blows the Kindle away, and it is an excellent eReader (I use my constantly for that).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If she's been hinting for a kindle - go for the kindle at $139 - you're getting off cheap here. Only remember, if she wants to read in bed, still going to require a book light.

Once you go Kindle, Nook, iPad for ebooks - a notebook is just a pitr for that purpose.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
derfel_spain

derfel_spain is on a distinguished road

I agree...If you want a device just for reading go for Kindle! I have it and I love it!! If she reads a lot ( and I mean a lot) you better buy I kindle! I never tried to read a book with an IPAD but I guess that after reading for a while my eyes would get tired!!

I would love to have an IPAD but it is expensive and I prefer to wait for future versions! Go for Kindle! She will love it!! Besides, If you buy the 3G version you will have internet for free everywhere!! Great for emergencies but not so good for surfing the net though.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfel_spain View Post
... I never tried to read a book with an IPAD but I guess that after reading for a while my eyes would get tired!!

Cheers!
i would guess you might be wrong if you learn how to adjust the brightness properly.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Assuming she's done her own research and concluded that the Kindle is what she wants -- as someone else said, you're getting away cheap.

But I'm still going to argue for the iPad because it is sooooooo much more versatile. That Kindle is going to get maybe (MAYBE) a year's use and then tossed in a drawer. Seen it happen over and over and over again.

The iPad can BE a Kindle (free Kindle app) AND a Nook (free Nook app) plus iBooks plus GoodReader plus ... well I think I've made my point. It's like buying all the eBook readers out there in one device that can STILL do so much more.

But again, if she's done her homework, don't second-guess her. Get her what she wants, then get yourself an iPad. I'll be interested to hear what happens after, say, a month.
QUOTE Thanks
pinchy

pinchy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Assuming she's done her own research and concluded that the Kindle is what she wants -- as someone else said, you're getting away cheap.

But I'm still going to argue for the iPad because it is sooooooo much more versatile. That Kindle is going to get maybe (MAYBE) a year's use and then tossed in a drawer. Seen it happen over and over and over again.

The iPad can BE a Kindle (free Kindle app) AND a Nook (free Nook app) plus iBooks plus GoodReader plus ... well I think I've made my point. It's like buying all the eBook readers out there in one device that can STILL do so much more.

But again, if she's done her homework, don't second-guess her. Get her what she wants, then get yourself an iPad. I'll be interested to hear what happens after, say, a month.
Kindle or nothing at all. After half year I still can't seem to justify the money for an iPad.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

The Kindle is a much better e-reading device than an iPad or a Macbook. The Macbook is the worst next to the iPhone for reading a book. The iPad is decent, but I like the Kindle more.

I actually had a Kindle, gave it away when I got my iPad, and then found myself buying a new Kindle because I just don't like the iPad for reading books. It's great for other things, but not for reading.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
derfel_spain

derfel_spain is on a distinguished road

"i would guess you might be wrong if you learn how to adjust the brightness properly."...

What kind of comment is that? Of course I know how to adjust the brightness...I only say that if she wants a device just for reading...Kindle is way better...It is smaller, lighter and very friendly with your eyes...

Of course IPAD is better if you wanna use it for sth else...
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

The weight difference alone makes the Kindle better for reading, especially if you like to read a lot. The screen is also much better for long reading.

The iPad isn't bad as a substitute if you're not an avid reader, but much like any multipurpose device, the iPad is good at many things, but not as great as dedicated devices.

QUOTE Thanks
RadarP3C

RadarP3C is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.66GHz, OS 10.6.2, iPad2(64G)

Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice so far!

One feature (or lack of) that no one has commented on is the Kindle's display is B&W only. Not having a color display might make a difference????

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarP3C View Post
Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice so far!

One feature (or lack of) that no one has commented on is the Kindle's display is B&W only. Not having a color display might make a difference????

Thanks.
How many books have you read or seen at the library that are in color?

Text in books is black and white, you won't have a problem.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
How many books have you read or seen at the library that are in color?

Text in books is black and white, you won't have a problem.
I guess I would qualify as a somewhat avid reader--though I am sporadic. I will go through periods where I read two to three novels a week, then go a week or so without. I have never had any problem reading on my iPad, but that's me.
As to color capability--I have a number of books on digital photography that work far better in color than they ever would in B&W. Not to mention the several DvDs worth of Comic Books (Fantastic Four, Spider Man, Iron Man etc) courtesy of GIT publications that would suffer without that beautiful color screen.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfel_spain View Post
"i would guess you might be wrong if you learn how to adjust the brightness properly."...

What kind of comment is that? Of course I know how to adjust the brightness...I only say that if she wants a device just for reading...Kindle is way better...It is smaller, lighter and very friendly with your eyes...

Of course IPAD is better if you wanna use it for sth else...
The comment was pointed at the fact that once you adjust the brightness settings to an appropriate level, then you won't experience the eye strain that you mentioned in your previous post. It's a perfectly valid comment.

The Macbook is a horrible e-reader, I would personally never use my Macbook to read books. I use my iPad for reading all the time. I read at least one or two hours every night. I've gone through several books in just the last two weeks. I don't find the iPad to be heavy and the backlight doesn't result in eye strain. I find reading on the iPad to be a far more pleasant experience than a physical book. Another benefit to an iPad is that if I ever come across something while reading that needs to be looked up, I can quickly switch over to Safari and do a Google search, find the answer, and then quickly switch back.

I believe everyone else has answered your question regarding Kindle vs. iPad. If she wants a Kindle, then get her a Kindle, it's the only thing she'll be happy with.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is this memory OK for my Macbook? | Upgrade ram in my late 2011 macbook pro 13 »