New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Wife Dropped MacBook


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
toonjie

 
Member Since: Jun 10, 2007
Posts: 9
toonjie is on a distinguished road

toonjie is offline
My wife just dropped my black Macbook from 2006. I now have a 1/4 inch white line running down the entire screen vertically just left of the center of the screen. What did she mess up and how much does she owe me tonight, (if you know what I mean?)?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

 
Kash's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 03, 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 9,385
Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Kash is offline
Seeing as how she messed up the screen, which is a major component of the laptop and thus will be costly to replace, I'd say she owes you BIG. And I mean BIIIIIIGGGGGGGG.


June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

 
CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 24, 2008
Posts: 6,006
CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

CrimsonRequiem is offline
Might be an all nighter and some overtime. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
toonjie

 
Member Since: Jun 10, 2007
Posts: 9
toonjie is on a distinguished road

toonjie is offline
So what did she actually break?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 40,126
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonjie View Post
So what did she actually break?
It sounds like when it dropped, the display was damaged. I would say you have a cracked display. The only remedy it to replace it. Check with the folks at iFixit: The free repair manual to get the cost of a new display and instructions on how to change it out yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
torbjoern

 
torbjoern's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 30, 2009
Posts: 107
torbjoern will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)

torbjoern is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonjie View Post
My wife just dropped my black Macbook from 2006. I now have a 1/4 inch white line running down the entire screen vertically just left of the center of the screen. What did she mess up and how much does she owe me tonight, (if you know what I mean?)?
When you ask what she owes you, I had the number ready. But reading "if you know what I mean", I wonder what kind of payment you want from her. I know what I would have asked for if my wife or gf had dropped my precious computer and broken the display - but we all have different preferences.

Better lose a bar on the iPhone 4 than losing an iPhone 4 in the bar.
QUOTE Thanks
toonjie

 
Member Since: Jun 10, 2007
Posts: 9
toonjie is on a distinguished road

toonjie is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by torbjoern View Post
When you ask what she owes you, I had the number ready. But reading "if you know what I mean", I wonder what kind of payment you want from her. I know what I would have asked for if my wife or gf had dropped my precious computer and broken the display - but we all have different preferences.
LOL. She definitely made it up to me! Looks like if it is in fact the screen, then it is around $149. The iFixit instructions show you just about have to take the whole thing apart to change out the screen, so I would definitely want to swap out the 120gig hard drive and the 1 gig of ram for the max of 3. We're talking about $400 doing it myself. (With no guarantee that it is the screen.) What do you guys think, am I better off getting a new one or an iPad rather than upgrading an old processor (core2 duo). We have an imac, and my wife has a MBP, (which I now get to use even more!) and we both have iPhones. I'd like to wait for the new MBPs next year and was thinking an iPad and a bluetooth keyboard would tide me over?
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

 
s2odin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 23, 2010
Posts: 836
s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

s2odin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonjie View Post
LOL. She definitely made it up to me! Looks like if it is in fact the screen, then it is around $149. The iFixit instructions show you just about have to take the whole thing apart to change out the screen, so I would definitely want to swap out the 120gig hard drive and the 1 gig of ram for the max of 3. We're talking about $400 doing it myself. (With no guarantee that it is the screen.) What do you guys think, am I better off getting a new one or an iPad rather than upgrading an old processor (core2 duo). We have an imac, and my wife has a MBP, (which I now get to use even more!) and we both have iPhones. I'd like to wait for the new MBPs next year and was thinking an iPad and a bluetooth keyboard would tide me over?
If it works (granted it is the screen), no need to upgrade. A C2D processor is fine by todays standars, especially for the average user. You can throw in a SSD or a larger, faster hard drive for increased performance and throw in some more RAM on top of that.

The next refresh probably won't be anything big, as Apple (from my observation) seems to be a little behind the curve of technology. They will start the real updates in their second update, not the next one coming up.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« 13" unibody original vertical lines in middle of screen (video of screen in post) | ram card issue in macbook a1181 »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
dropped macbook monomoso Apple Notebooks 5 08-14-2010 05:57 AM
DROPPED my macbook...HELP! jumpmav11 Apple Notebooks 6 04-02-2010 09:20 PM
How many Apple techs does it take to fix a MacBook? dougnewman Apple Notebooks 8 11-09-2008 01:18 PM
Dropped Macbook, need help! Jefenry Apple Notebooks 4 06-26-2007 05:35 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?