New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro 13 Inch Shuts Down Randomly??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joyblossom

Joyblossom is on a distinguished road

Ive had my Macbook Pro since June 2009 and about 6 months ago, it started to shut down unexpectedly. It would ask randomly "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" and if i dont click "cancel" right away, it will shut down on its own. When I try to turn the computer back on, it will shut down before it gets to the desktop. The only way I have found that I can get it to log onto the desktop is by continuously pushing random keys while it is booting up. For some strange reason, if i am typing or clicking on my computer while it is on, it will not shut down, however, if i leave it unattended for a few minutes (and sometimes a few seconds) it will shut down. It does this when it is plugged to the charger and when it runs on battery. This problem happens every once in a while. When it first began, it lasted for about two days and stopped for 2 months then again for about a day and stopped for a month and then again for about a week and stopped for 2 more months. Now its started back again and I dont really know what to do. Ive reset the PRAM and rebooted with the Snow Leopard Install CD. Ive run the disk utility and attempted to Verify and Repair the disk and disk permissions. Ive run the programs Onyx and MacKeeper and I cant seem to get this to stop. I took it to the peachmac store and they said that it may be a faulty logic board. But it costs $500 to get it replaced which is 1/3 the price that was originally paid for the Macbook Pro. So please let me know of any thoughts or suggestions to fixing this problem.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Unfortunately, a problem like you're having really needs to be diagnosed by an Apple tech who has the equipment and know how. It does sound like you may have an intermittent defect with the logic board.

When a computer shuts down the way yours is doing, it's usually a hardware problem. It could be bad memory, a defective power supply, it may be overheating and shutting down, or as stated above, the logic board.

Is there an Apple store near by where you can make an appointment and take it on in for them to look at?
QUOTE Thanks
Joyblossom

Joyblossom is on a distinguished road

Yes there is a store nearby. I guess I'll have to take it by there and see what they say about it. Thank you for answering
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Forward delete (Fn+delete) on short external keyboard | Macbook can't watch videos.. »