Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Member Since
    Nov 27, 2010
    Should I wait for the MBP "Refesh" next year?
    I would like to buy a 15" MacBook Pro for when I go to University next year, but the rumours of the new MBP becoming more like the MacBook Air, with the HDDs being replaced with SSDs and there being no optical drive, I'm not sure if i should wait out.

    I'm looking to spend about £1,700, I was originality going to buy a MBP when OSX Lion was released in the summer, but and I need a Mac with a CD/DVD drive, and I'm worried that the new macs wont have one and be much more expensive with the SSD!

  2. #2

    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Down Under :D
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Buy a new MBP when you need one, or you'll always be waiting for what's around the corner.

    If the new Macs come out when you do need one, and they're more expensive, or don't meet your requirements, go to Apple's refurbished store and get the one you want.

    No one can tell you when the new MBPs will come out, or what features they will have.
    Only Apple knows this!

    Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

  3. #3

    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*
    Personally, I'm happier knowing that I saved a bunch of money than spending a premium just to have the newest thing out. Also, having to wait so long is a deal breaker for me. Plus, the mbp's that are out right now are pretty darn good. Throw in an ssd in them and you will be getting blisters from its speed! I have a 19 month old mbp 15" that just got an ssd installed, along with a hybrid ssd...needless to say, I don't have the urge to get any new thing that's out.

    There are some really good deals now on refurbs. I would seriously be looking at them if I didn't already have something. The only thing that might might push me to upgrade later on is the new Light Peak interface...which isn't even guaranteed to come out yet.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

  4. #4

    s2odin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 23, 2010
    C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    If you wait, you will always be waiting. Buy now or wait, your choice. If you need it, buy it, if not, wait until you think you will. But if you buy it then they announce something new coming in a little bit, get used to it.
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

  5. #5

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    If you need a computer now buy now. If you can wait then wait. Simple right?

  6. #6

    torbjoern's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 30, 2009
    MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
    To avoid buyer's remorse when a newer and flashier device comes out for 100$ less, it can be wise to wait until right after an update.

    I would say that if you really really need one now, borrow one. It's 7.5 months since the last update of the MBP line, and there has rarely been more than 9 between any two updates of the MBP.
    Better lose a bar on the iPhone 4 than losing an iPhone 4 in the bar.

  7. #7

    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Cleveland, Ohio
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    And there's no certainty that there will be a MBP refresh next year. It will probably happen, but no one can tell you for sure when. And given that Apple's last MBP refresh was almost a year in between, you should just buy when you need it.

    No one is able to tell you for certain when new models are coming out until Apple actually announces a date. However, there are some sites that try to guess based on previous hardware refreshes.

    A great one is the Macrumors Buying Guide:

    The best rule of thumb is if you need a new computer and the current models meet your needs go for it. If you're not in a rush and choose to wait for the next refresh, you can do that. Either choice is ultimately up to you.

    There will always be the next new version, so waiting indefinitely is often not worth it.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ »

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2014, 11:13 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2012, 11:04 AM
  3. Starting the new year with a 13" MBP (:
    By ZeeSquared in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 12:22 AM
  4. Should I Get the New 17" MBP or Wait Until It's Updated?
    By Jaygray in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2009, 07:27 PM
  5. Is it possible to wait 15" MBP with 1680X1050 res?
    By linfan68 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2008, 08:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts