New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Time Machine on my MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacbookManiac

MacbookManiac is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,
First of all I'm new here, got a macbook for over a year now, and I love it

Now this.
I want to update my Mac to Snow Leopard (got Leopard now), and because my Macbook will be totally reset, I want to backup my files.
Now I've bought me a external harddisk, and now i want to put all my files on it. I set the harddisk as "use for time machine", and then it started to make a copy. But is that all you need to do?
And how do I manually update it?
Reason for posting this is that i really need the files on it, so I dont want to lose them because i forgot something!
And, how do I, when I get my macbook back from the dealer, put all my files back on it? When I open the harddisk, I cant see no files, only one, called "*date*InProgress".

I hope you can explain to me how this all works!
Sorry if my grammar isnt perfect, im Dutch
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

Welcome to the forums.

There is no need to totally ' reset ' your Macbook when you upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard..... you can easily perform an " in place " upgrade.

Once your initial backup with Time Machine is complete, you don't need to manually update it, just make sure your external Time Machine disk is connected to your Macbook and Time Machine will automatically make a backup of all files that have changed ..... every hour.( by default )

From what you are telling us " ..... called 'date"In progress' " I suspect that your initial backup was not completed .... so check that first before you do an upgrade.
Or have the dealer confirm that for you.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
dmordigal

dmordigal is on a distinguished road

Yes, all you need to do, whenever you want to make a backup, is just plug in the drive. When you plug it in, your Mac automatically recognizes it as your Time Machine disk and initiates the backup while you work. Either you can plug it in when you choose to back up (that's what I do because I only have 2 USB ports on mine), or you can leave it plugged in and it should back up hourly by default.

You don't need to manually update anything on Time Machine. It's all automatic. If you're talking about Software Update, I'm sure you know this by now if you've had a Mac for a while (  > Software Update).

When you get the MacBook back from the dealer, all you have to do is plug in your Time Machine disk. Located inside should be folders with dates and times on them.

Let me know if you need additional help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac book boot problem | Macbook Battery »